cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus questions

billybjo1
Level 3
Level 3

Apologies in advance for what might be obviously dumb questions to some, but I am new to Nexus.

1) Why would you buy a 5010/5020 over a 5548UP/5596UP? I've looked at the data sheets, and haven't yet identified the major difference between the 2 ranges.

2) Does the 3064 support 2000 series FEX? I can't find any mention of this in the data sheets.

3) Does Cisco do a RJ45 10g SFP+? I don't think so, as most discussions I found suggest its not a good idea anyway as fibre had better power/latency characteristics.

4) Is there any PoE in the Nexus range? I think not, but just wanted to check.

5) Do most solutions involve connecting servers using 10GBASE-SR or have some found reasons to use Twinax to a server?

6) Does a 10GBASE-SR also support 1gb (i.e. to provide a legacy uplink to a none 10gb 3750 SFP)?

7) In the 5010/5020 or 5548/5596 range, in order to do local L3 VLANs (no WAN dynamic routing), do we need the L3 module? From what I can see that is only supported in the 5548/5596.

Thanks for any help.

3 Replies 3

Marcel Zehnder
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi billybjo1

1.) The UP series supports 1 Gbps Cu, 1/10 Gbps optical, 10 Gbps twinax and 1,2,4,8 Gbps FC transceivers on every port. The non-UP series can't do that

2.) No

3.) No

4.) No

5.) Most of my customers use twinax cables to connect the servers. The twinax solution is much cheaper than 10 Gbps SR transceivers.

6.) No, you would need a 1 Gbps SX transceiver

7.) If you want to provide inter-VLAN routing you need the L3 module

HTH

Marcel

7) 5010/5020s are L2 only switches. You can't use L3 modules for them

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

To provide precision to the answers already provided:

1) Today, go with the UP series. The P series *also* does support 1G speed on the ports, as the UP. For FC you would need an expansion module on the P series.

3) There is the SFP GLC-T which needs 1G speed. for 10G Base-T there is the 2232 TM which supports 10GE Base-T today and you can connect it to nexus 50xx or 55xx.

5) If you are fine by twinax distance, then go with twinax. Be mindful certain nics do *not* support ACTIVE twinax. The cisco switch supports both (active and passive). If you need longer distance, then go with SR. We provide with the FET transceiver if you need optical distance between nexus 5000 and the nexus 2000.

7) To use an SVI you don't need any L3 card, you can use an SVI on the 5010/5020 or 5500. This is achieved with the command 'feature interface-vlan'. If you need intervlan routing then you need the L3 card on the 5500s.