Views
Helpful
Replies

Urgent clarification needed - 5010 fixed 10Gbps SFP+ ports

justinvo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm looking at the Nexus 5010P which saying it has 20 x 10Gbps fixed SFP+ ports.  My colleague said this comes with SFP+ ports but the picture doesn't seem to have it.

Can someone confirm I still need to buy the SFP+ modules separately rather it comes with it?

Thanks heaps

Justin

6 Replies 6

tiwang
Level 3
Level 3

hmm - the nexus has 20 10 gbps EMPTY SFP+ ports - I guess that you are asking for the SFP modules? Be aware of that the fiber-optics are terribly expensive whereas the the cobber-cables with SFP connectors are - well not cheap but they are easier to afford..

the first 10 ports can also run 1 gbps

ps: I can't remember how long 10 gig cobber-cables you can get but at least 1 - 3 and 5 meters (those are we using) and if you have it into a single POD this can often be sufficent.

Thank you the confirmation. This increase the cost of the switch significantly. Copper based cost 3 or 4 times less but unfortunately the server team wants to use 10Gbps fibre connection. Look like I may need to produce multiple options.

FYI for the copper SPF cables (Twinax) they come in 1,3,5 and 7 meter lengths.  This will usually cover you up to a width of 3 racks when properly cable managed.

Anything within reach should be taking advantage of twinax.  Not only is it a fraction of the cost of optics, but it's also lower latency and uses 1/10th the power of optics (0.1W vs.1W per port).

Regards,

Robert

First 8 ports on the 5010, First 16 on 5020 can be run in 1gbps mode.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

ryhicks
Level 1
Level 1

There are some bundles which include some SFPs. But the the base 5010 does not.

You will need to order either copper or fiber SFPs.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/data_sheet_c78-455693.html

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card