cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VXLAN BGP EVPN Control Plane - Issue with ARP suppression

mamullen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

On a 9372,  when I configure ARP suppression under the NVE interface I get the following message:

int nve1

member vni 10000

suppress-arp

Warning: Please configure TCAM region for Ingress ARP-Ether ACL for ARP supression to work.

The configuration guide lists a command:  hardware access-list tcam region arp-ether 256

Tried this but the switch returned an error indicating not enough resources are available. 

4 Replies 4

sanbalas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

You need to free up the TCAM slices to allocate resources for arp-ether acl

Do "show run all | inc tcam" and try to free up the tcams for those which you do not need for your environment.

On my set up, I am not using vacl and so I am setting the allocation to 0 and freeing it for arp-ether.

For eg:
VXLAN-E11# show run all | inc vacl
hardware access-list tcam region vacl 512
hardware access-list tcam region ipv6-vacl 0
hardware access-list tcam region mac-vacl 0

If you are not using vacl, then you can set it to zero as shown below.

VXLAN-E11(config)# hardware access-list tcam region vacl 0
Warning: Please save config and reload the system for the configuration to take effect
VXLAN-E11(config)# hardware access-list tcam region arp-ether 256
Warning: Please save config and reload the system for the configuration to take effect
VXLAN-E11(config)#

Save & Reload

Verify that the allocation for arp-ether has taken effect once the switch comes up.

VXLAN-E11# show run all | inc arp-ether
hardware access-list tcam region arp-ether 256
VXLAN-E11#

Now you should be able to configure arp suppression for the L2VNI under nve interface.

Regards
Santhosh

Thanks Santhosh.   Do you know if this is a requirement on all N9K switches or just on specific models?

For now, based on my understanding tcam allocation for arp-ether is a requirement on all N9K switches for configuring arp suppression. But freeing up tcam slices is based on the tcam allocations configured on your set up. Hope this helps.

-Santhosh

I found this old post as I was trying to configure VXLAN on GNS3 with Nexus 9500v images.

What I did to use it, is this:

hardware access-list tcam region racl 512
hardware access-list tcam region arp-ether 256 double-wide
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: