Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 - latest firmware?

wakazula1
Level 1
Level 1

Dear community,

Does anyone know where I can find the latest version of the firmware for the RV042 10/100 4-port VPN router?  I could be wrong but it appears that Cisco made changes to the design of the RV042, and released it under the same name.  The version of the firmware posted on the Cisco website is VERY different... which suggests that it is not compatible with my RV042.  Furthermore, I found the following posting in one of the Cisco forums:

"Note: This firmware version will only work with the newly released RV042, RV082, and RV016 Version 3 hardware. It is not backward compatible with previous hardware versions." [SOURCE: RV016, RV042, RV082 Hardware V3 Firmware Update]

My RV042 Router

• purchased in 2008
  • CPU=Intel IXP425-266
  • DRAM=32MB
  • Flash=8MB
  • Original Firmware=1.3.12.6tm
  • Current Firmware=1.3.12.19-tm

Firmware on Cisco Website

• current version: 4.2.3.03
    • notice how different this version is from my 1.3.12.19
  • RV042, RV042G, RV082, RV016 firmware 4.2.3.03-tm (V3 hardware required, except RV042G)
  • firmware is currently posted: here

11 Replies 11

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hi wakazula1,

Unfortunately Cisco does not publish the firmware for the older version 1 and 2 hardware. Firmware is only available for download for the latest version 3 hardware.

- Marty

Hi Marty.

Thanks for the reply to my inquiry.

That is unfortunate - I had hoped to download the "latest" firmware for my RV042 to address a known issue MTU issue :(

Hi,

The latest firmware for RV042 hardware version 1 is 1.3.13.02-tm.

Please, find attached

Regards,

Kremena

Hi,

I got confused about the versions you mentioned.

My RV042 has a firmware v4.2.3.03 but what is another version 1.3.13.02?

Hi,

Refer the below link:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12386531/error-upgrading-rv082-firmware

It's a bit confusing... But basically over the years Cisco has released the RV042 with different hardware. As such, you have to be mindful when upgrading your router as the firmware versions are not backward compatible with the older hardware (like mine).

It's a bit confusing... But basically over the years Cisco has released the RV042 with different hardware. As such, you have to be mindful when upgrading your router as the firmware versions are not backward compatible with the older hardware (like mine).

Hi,

Don't forget to backup your router before doing an upgrade.

Regards,

hdam

That's great, thanks Kremena!

Hi Mpyhala,

Please, How do I check the V3 hardware?

Tnks!!!

alexandrequintela1,

You can look at the sticker that has the model number of the device. It would say "RV042 v3" for version 3 hardware.

- Marty