Helpful
Replies

Issues with VLAN's and DHCP

michael.porter
Level 1
Level 1

SG500 52 Port Switches

Newbie here!

What would be the issue is certain ports, which are set with a VLAN of 3 are giving out the correct addresses through the DHCP, but when another port, which is set to VLAN 4, when a device is connected, is giving out an address of 169.X.X.X?  

I have checked the settings and made sure all of the VLANs are set up and the VLAN table is correct.

I also checked a few items and it seems that the switch is set to L3 Mode instead of L2 like the rest of the switches.

Where would the issue be?

Sorry if the question may be confusing, but its seems every port that was set to VLAN 4, is having this issue and the VLAN 3 are working fine.  

2 Replies 2

anasathy
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Michael,

Thanks for contacting Cisco support community centre.

I hope you are doing well. I am really sorry for inconvenience caused and delayed response.

Please provide me the below details to narrow down this Issue.

>>Have you configured the DHCP server in the switch or some other server?

>>Please connect the PC to the  switch through console and commend” Show running-config” and copy the output file in the Notepad and post in the forum, If possible take backup configuration and post it while taking backup change the username and password as cisco.

If you are getting 169.X.X.X IP address in the PC then the PC not able to find any DHCP server.

athorn001
Level 1
Level 1

Does the DHCP Server sit on the switch? Is the switch the default gateway for the clients? If it doesn't have the DHCP server running on it, you need DHCP helper enabled for that VLAN pointing to your switch/server running DHCP.