Replies

SG300 with 2 WAN devices

Michiel Beenen
Level 3
Level 3

Hello there all,

I have a couple of questions hoping someone could tell  me how to make it work:

The following situation in my home right now:

1) Fiber coming into my home (other side is a Cisco 2911 router with both internet and my own ip adresses)

This is right now directly connected to the SG300 switch (L2) i have at home

2) I however also have a normal 100mbit cable connection at home, a Cisco EPC3925 modem/router.

I was thinking of, in some way maybe making a local network where it could either use both connections or use one as backup, when the other goes down  for within my home. Ofc all devices on my local LAN need to be able to connect to the internet.

Is there a way at all to make this work? And if so, how do i need to configure the SG300 (maybe enable DHCP/L3?) and do i then need to disable DHCP on the 2911 and/or the cable router/modem?

What is possible?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I believe the RV042G would work well. It provides the speeds you require and the VPN is optional. Are there any other requirements you are looking for? If not, you should be good to go.

Regards,

-Trevor Rietcheck

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

trietche
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Michiel,

If you are wanting to use two different connections one method would be to have the connections come into the switch on two different VLANs and then have those two different VLANs each go to a different router. When one connection goes down you could connect to the next one.

If you are wanting to use them on the same connection you could use DualWAN router.

Best Regards,

Trevor Rietcheck

Yeah well id prefer not to have to switch to 2 diff routers, imo the routers should come before the switch.

Michiel,

Before or after the switch would work fine. By the sounds of it though, you are wanting a DualWAN router.

Cisco provides a few routers such as the RV042 that will provide you with this.

Regards,

Trevor Rietcheck

Michiel Beenen
Level 3
Level 3

I guess this router could do it? Cisco RV042G?
Since i want gigabit on both WAN ports and then connect that router to the switch, no need for VPN.

I believe the RV042G would work well. It provides the speeds you require and the VPN is optional. Are there any other requirements you are looking for? If not, you should be good to go.

Regards,

-Trevor Rietcheck

Noop, just need a DUAL WAN Router then basically with gigabit

And it has the super cool GUI aswell, awesome, thank you!