cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Re: Inquiry of SNMP v3 for Discovery

trapasso
Level 1
Level 1

I am seeing this issue in the new 2.7.2 version. 

We have several credential profiles, some SNMPv3, some SNMPv2, about 5 in total.  All my devices were discovered in a previous version, and every week when the discovery ran no issues.   Not sure under which version of the software this started but now when the discovery runs it will not use the different credentials for the different devices. 

In my Discovery job, the 3rd page in, the Management Protocol is set to snmpv3.  All devices using snmpv3 are rediscovered but all other devices go under the unreachable nodes.  If I change the Management Protocol to snmpv2, all those devices are rediscovered but my snmpv3 devices are marked as unreachable.

One of the replies says that the software will remember which credentials to use during the inventory job but it seems that it is not the case because when checking on the web portal at services.cisco.com the devices are not appearing.

4 Replies 4

Jarrett Pomeroy
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello trapasso,

Can you please check to see if your Collection Profile settings have the option enabled to run discovery and DAV when the profile starts?  When the Collection job runs, it will verify all protocols to allow you to collect data from both SNMPv2 and V3 devices.  You can view these settings in the Settings -> Manage Data Collection Profile settings window.

runDiscovery.JPG

Thank you,

Jarrett

Both those setting are enabled.

Hello trapasso ,
Those settings should allow for devices to be discovered and collected on while using multiple protocols (V2/V3) settings. Can you please try running the Collection Job and seeing if any devices are still showing as unreachable once it's completed?
Thank you,
Jarrett

Yesterday I run the discovery and collection, changing the management
protocol from snmp v2 to v3. This resolved a problem of missing devices
from the latest collection in the services.cisco.com portal.

All the missing devices that I cared about were marked as managed devices
in the local collector, before I made any changes, but were marked as
unreachable just because of the Management Protocol was set to v2 in the
discovery.

Now it is time to sit back and see if anything changes over time.