cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cspc 2.6.1 Inventory uploads never show up.

spemiller
Level 1
Level 1

Following the blog on Setting up the CSPC 2.6 collector by Lynden Price, I deployed the SNTC-CSPC2.6.1-RC1-OVF10.ova from Aug 20, 2016 with size 2060.17MB and all went well.  When installing the entitlement file from the 2.5 installation, it reported "Entitlement update done locally, but failed on the tail-end gateway."  Our firewall shows that TCP port 21 was blocked to 198.133.219.53 from our cscp host at that time.  All the documents I've found only indicate that HTTPS/HTTP on port 443/80 is needed and to a different set of servers.  I did a small discovery and data collection on 8 devices and it indicates that the inventory upload was successful.  I also created an upload profile and ran it and it also shows successful in the logs.  Both profiles have "smartnet_total_care" as the service name.  I generated a new entitlement with only alpha letters in the host name and inventory name without even a "-" character, downloaded and installed it with the same tcp port 21 attempt being blocked by our firewall and inventory uploads show success in the cscp logs but never show up in the Total Care portal.

An older deployment was sending inventory until we shut it down.  Our CSP v2.5 collector that we deployed a month ago also always showed the uploads succeeding but they never showed in the Upload Processing list.

Does the collector host need to contact the gateway at Cisco at the time of licensing/entitlement?  Is there an alternate way to do this?  Is it likely something else wrong?

Thanks,

Spencer

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you click on the pencil beside your company name:

It will bring up a menu to select one of the multiple inventories you created. Each entitlement creates a different one.

I checked yours and it looks like you have three inventories. You are might be only looking at the old one from the 2.2.

Thanks,

Lynden

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Lynden Price
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Spencer,

The collector should not need to contact Cisco at the time of applying the entitlement, but that does indicate that there might be a connection issue.

If you log into the collector CLI (with the collectorlogin username) and run:

telnet 72.164.113 443

and see if it connects.

It's also possible that you were previously going through a proxy that had been configured in the older collector and still needs to be set up in the new one. Otherwise it sound like the collector is set up correctly.

Let me know what you find out and I can give you some more ideas to try.

Thanks,

Lynden

Thanks Lynden,

Did you mean "telnet 72.163.7.113 443" ? That works.  I didn't include it in my initial post but outbound access to Cisco addresses listed in the deployment doc has been allowed by the firewall. There isn't a proxy other than the NAT on the firewall.  There are multiples of most of these but only these four connections were logged on our firewall.

72.163.7.138   TCP 5222 allowed
72.163.7.113   TCP 443  allowed

198.133.219.53 TCP 21   denied
157.189.192.67 TCP 80   denied

What else should I look at?

Thanks.

Spencer

If you go to Reports > Inventory Jobs, does it show your scheduled inventory running and completing successfully?

What is the oldest version of the collector you ever uploaded with?

I haven't set a schedule for it yet but my manual runs completed successfully and the firewall log shows a non-trivial amount of data transferred to Cisco.  Same for the scheduled setup on the 2.5 collector.

I don't know what the first version was back a few years ago.  The person that set it up isn't here anymore so I can't ask.  The VM that has the instance that was working up to August doesn't seem to boot any more but I think it was v2.2 from my notes.

Thanks,

Spencer

...and I've been using the same IP address for each version with the other two shut down.  We'll delete the older instances soon.

Thanks,

Spencer

In the SNTC portal, do you see more than one inventory listed? It's possible that your old (2.2) inventory is still there under the old entitlement and not being updated, but there is a separate one for the new uploads.

I'm new to this system so I hope I understand you.  In the portal under Library>Administration>Upload Processing, there are 39 entries there from the 2.2 collector from June 2015 to Aug 6 2016.  There are no newer entries and I don't see any control on the portal that would filter collector source or inventory name.  Clicking into several of the upload records and looking at the details the Inventory name is different on what I configured but I thought that was ok to do.

There is no entitlement listed for the 2.2 collector.  I don't recall if I deleted it or it wasn't there back in August.

Thanks,

Spencer

If you click on the pencil beside your company name:

It will bring up a menu to select one of the multiple inventories you created. Each entitlement creates a different one.

I checked yours and it looks like you have three inventories. You are might be only looking at the old one from the 2.2.

Thanks,

Lynden

Thanks!  That is it!  I see the newer upload info.

Spencer