Views
Helpful
Replies

CSPC-2.8.1.8 Discovery with snmpv2 and v3 at the same time

MARTIN THEINER
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We are using CSPC 2.8.1.8 and some of our Devices are running SNMPv2, others SNMPv3.

Is it possible to run a Discovery with both (v2 and v3) @ the same time?

When i start a discovery manually by using: Management/DiscoverDevices....Scan by IP-Ranges.... I can olnly select one SNMP option. If i select both, v2 and v3, an error occurs: please select one snmp-protocol.

If I run a v2 Job (50 devices), the dashboard shows 50 managed devices (Devicecount 50)

If i then start a v3 Job(20 devices), the dashboard  shows 20 managed devices, 50 unreachable devices (Devicecount 70)

If I run the datacollection now, only 20 devices are selected for the inventory. 

How can i run a discovery for all devices (snmpv2 and snmpv3) using a customized datacollection Profile without data upload?

Best regards,

Martin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

1) a discovery x.x.x.x/16 for SNMPv2

2) a discovery x.x.x.x/16 for SNMPv3

3) a inventory with "Run Discovery Before Collection" enabled" in the collection-profile, a.k.a Default SNTC Collection Profile

4) No manual export of the data as this is done during the Default Collection Profile.

5) Do not upload the data manually, again done through the Default Collection Profile.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

jofrumki
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please see the CSPC User Guide for information regarding the use of multiple version of SNMP during discovery job. As of now the CSPC does not support more than one version of SNMP during the Range or Protocol Discovery job.

From the User Guide, regarding Discovery Settings (Enable Fallback):

If discovery of selected protocols fails, and if fall back is selected
discovery is tried for other protocols as per discovery properties
file.
$CSPCHOME/resources/discovery/properties/disc
overy-cso-startup.properties
For properties name: PRIMARY_COMM_PROTOCOL
This is applicable only for known discovery and rediscovery

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/support/docs/cloud-systems-management/common-services-platform-collector-cspc/CSPC-User-Guide.pdf

Ok, does this mean, that I have to have a seperate collector vor SNMPv2 and SNMPv3?

because, as i said, i have seen, that after a v3 Discovery, the inventory collection uses only the device-count from the last discovery!

So the next problem is, that i have to manually export the data and do a manual upload. During the manual upload, there is a message, that, previously uploadet date is overwritten.... so... is there a chance to have all devices in one report?

The Default SNTC Collection Profile will use all configured SNMP credentials you provide, it's first process is to run a Re-Discovery of all managed devices (Live Nodes & Unreachable Nodes) using those credentials. After each Collection job all your devices should be in a Live Node state. 

What you may want to do is create a Range Discovery Job for each version of SNMP you are using, you can simply clone an existing Range Discovery and alter the version of SNMP. We do have an enhancement request open with CSPC development to enable the Fallback option, or multiple SNMP versions used for all discovery job types.

ok, so i have to do:

3) a inventory with "Run Discovery Before Collection" enabled" in the collection-profile. (otherwise only the last live nodes are included in the inventory)

4) do a manual export of the data.

5) upload the data manually.

3) a inventory with "Run Discovery Before Collection" enabled" in the collection-profile, a.k.a Default SNTC Collection Profile

4) No manual export of the data as this is done during the Default Collection Profile.

5) Do not upload the data manually, again done through the Default Collection Profile.

there is no internet-connection available for the collector!

I have to manually export the data to a .zip file and do the upload from my PC!

so the  important thing is, that "run discovery befor collection" in the data-collection-profile is enabled. Only this uses all configured SNMP-versions.