Views
Helpful
Replies

SD-Access Transit and SD-WAN transit network requirements

alessandro.s
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

we recently moved our infrastructure to SD-Access interconnecting three sites via a pre-existing MPLS network using IP-Based Transit. Now we are planning to interconnect new sites and we are evaluating to use SD-Access transit or SD-WAN Transit instead but, practically speaking, what are the physical network requirements to use SD-Access and SD-WAN as transit?

and also Can we use SD-WAN Access transit with 3rd party SD-WAN solutions or we can rely, if the requirements are satisfied, in SD-Access transit?

King Regards,

19 Replies 19

Hi Jedolphi,

Did you ever get a chance to put more together that 'new SDA Transit advanced design collateral' mentioned in your post of 08-09-2023? Also struggling with whether to go with SD or IP transit over a layer 2, metro based circuit tech in use, that meets all requirements (latency, etc) except maybe MTU size it supports.

Hi all,

i'm really sorry to reply a few months later and i'd like to say thak you to @jedolphi and @andy!doesnt!like!uucp  for all the interesting points. What i undesrtand, finally, is that the official documents reccomend to use MTU 9100 and sufficient BW but looking more in-depth these seems to be not strictly required, BTW as @bfbcnet said, did you have any chance to work on 'new SDA Transit advanced design collateral'? 

jedolphi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Regarding SD-WAN Transit, here's the links to two PDGs representing two different SD-WAN Transit deployment models. We no longer encourage the use of the Integrated Domains model because it blocks a range of use cases that most customers find they ultimately require. I've included Integrated Domains PDG for completeness of information, but please do not use Integrated Domains unless you've first had an in-depth discussion with your technical Cisco sales representative about your use cases and future goals.

https://cs.co/integrated-domain
https://cs.co/independent-domain

jedolphi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@alessandro.s , @bfbcnet , MTU 9100 and specific bandwidths are not requirements of SDA Transit! However we do need to consider MTU in the design and potentially implement features to make sure VXLAN MTU does not exceed transport MTU. MTU, bandwidth and other things are unpacked in BRKENS-2816 which should be uploaded to ciscolive.com any day now. If you are in a hurry then please send me an email at my user ID @cisco.com and I'll send you the PDF tomorrow. Thank you.

Hi @jedolphi 

many thanks for the reply, i was at Cisco Live thi year but unfortunately i had to leave on February 7th and i missed your session! i see the PDF is available in the Cisco Event, i can read it frome there right now and the wait for the web availability to download it. Is pretty interesting to know how to prepare the environment for SD-Transit. As i said, currently i'm leveraging in IP-Based transit to interconnect my fabric sites but i think this is not the best in terms of scalability as i need to be careful of how many SXP connections exsits vs. ISE so my plan is to use, when possible, SD-Transit for future implementations

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card