Views
Helpful
Replies

200 series smart switch (SG200-18) access to web interface

shead1111
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings all!
The system light is flashing green which I understand means it's using the default IP 192.1681.254 currently.

1. Do I Need to plug a computer directly into it to get at the webpage? Or do I simply need to use any computer on the LAN which is using an IP in that subnet  192.168.1.x  ?   The subnet in this branch happens to be .1.x anyway.

2. Those instructions to use a computer on the same subnet - does that refer only to when it is in its default configuration or always ? i.e.  Will I only always only be able to reach these switches from a computer within the respective branch?  Or, for example, can the switch at branch 1 (subnet .1.x), be configured to allow access to a computer at head office (subnet .0.x) or via VPN (subnet .254.x) ? How to?

3. How to allow it to respond to pings?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi shead, if you connect this switch in to a network with DHCP, the device will obtain a DHCP address for the management IP address.

To be able to get web access from a different subnet, you need to set the default gateway of the switch to the device which will be performing the router, the sx200 will not route anything.

The switch responds to ping by default so there is a different a problem.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

shead1111
Level 1
Level 1

Is this normal to receive a nofification of a reply by dbruhn which only echos my posting and there is no such reply here?

shead1111
Level 1
Level 1

Got the answer to Q1. We did access the webpage with a computer plugged into a LAN outlet in the wall which ultimately meant it was in fact plugged into the switch at the other end.

Q2 still remains - is there settings to change that will allow web access from another subnet?

Q3 how to make the switch respond to pings

Hi shead, if you connect this switch in to a network with DHCP, the device will obtain a DHCP address for the management IP address.

To be able to get web access from a different subnet, you need to set the default gateway of the switch to the device which will be performing the router, the sx200 will not route anything.

The switch responds to ping by default so there is a different a problem.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Thank you for your time, Tom

We have set the switch with a manual IP of 192.168.1.253 (found the DSL modem default was .254). Gateway is 192.168.1.99. After changing the IP we did save to make it permanent, then powercycled the modem and switch.  As it is now, the switch will not respond to pings from a server at Head Office (192.168.0.x) nor to pings over VPN (192.168.254.x). The switch does, however, respond to pings from the 1941 router at HO which handles the DHCP for all of the subnets - same router, each branch sets its corresponding gateway 192.168.[0-x].99 on its equipment.

We also seem to have a problem with ICMP t3/s4 (packet frag msgs) being blocked.

A user at branch (192.168.1.x) can access the web interface. I can not reach the web interface via VPN

(192.168.254.x), nor from a server at HO running VNC (192.168.0.x)

"To be able to get web access from a different subnet, you need to set the default gateway of the switch to the device which will be performing the router, the sx200 will not route anything"

Are you pointing out that it needs a gateway because the switch is not a router?

Or are you saying that nothing will be able to pass thru the switch while it''s configured with one of the other gateways (so that would be for temporary access only, it's normal that it only be accessible from its own subnet?)

Hi shead, yes I am pointing out a gateway must be configured on the switch because it does not have a routing capability. The IP address of the switch is for management only, nothing more. Any computer in the subnet of the switch management can ping and hit the HTTP page of the switch. Anything out side of the subnet cannot unless a gateway is set. The reason is, if a foreign request (different subnet) is sent to the switch (or any device for this matter) will not reply unless there is a routing decision which would typically be the layer 3 device such as a router.

-Tom

Setting the Administrative IP address was ineed the key; we can now ping the switch and access its webpage from anywhere on the extended network.

I was so sure we had it set ...

Thanks Tom.