cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot login using console port on SG350

cbfs
Level 1
Level 1

I have an SG350 switch that's been reset to factory defaults, but I cannot log in to the switch using the console port. Once I type the username and press enter, it jumps past the password and tells me that authentication has failed. It never gives me a change to type a password. I've tried this on two different model SG350 switches and I can't get it to work on either of them. They are both running firmware version 2.3.5.63.

This is what I see in the console:

User Name:

User Name:cisco

Password:

User Name:cisco

Password:

authentication failed

press ENTER key to retry authentication
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

For anyone who hits the same issue, my terminal app was sending CR+LF when I pressed the enter key. The switch was registering both the CR and the LF as pressing enter, which would cause it to always skip over the password field.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rosica Sareva
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

What is the password you are entering?

Was this working before you reset the switches?

@Rosica Sareva wrote:

Hello,

What is the password you are entering?

Was this working before you reset the switches?

I’m trying to use “cisco”, but it never even gives me the chance to enter a password, it just skips right over the password field. And no, I’ve never been able to get it working.

For anyone who hits the same issue, my terminal app was sending CR+LF when I pressed the enter key. The switch was registering both the CR and the LF as pressing enter, which would cause it to always skip over the password field.

thieuhongthai
Level 1
Level 1

You can try this solution, I have met this problem, but i successfully solved it.

1. Connect a console cable between your laptop and the switch.
  2. Log into the switch with a baud rate of 115200.
  3. Restart the switch.
  4. On the console screen, pay attention to the message that says "Press RETURN or ESC," and press the ESC key on your laptop to access the startup menu.
  5. thieuhongthai_0-1696296213234.png

6. You can see the interface of startup menu

thieuhongthai_1-1696296378748.png

7. In this menu, you can also reset to default settings using the second menu option. To recover the password, press the number 3, and when you see the message "Current password will be ignored," press Enter, then press ESC to restart the switch.

thieuhongthai_2-1696296430876.png

8. When the switch completes the startup process, it will no longer require a password to log in, but it will retain the running-config. At this point, you can create a new login account and save the configuration. In configuration mode, enter the following command: "username admin privilege 15 password Admin@2024*," with the username "admin" and password "Admin@2024*". Then, save the configuration.

thieuhongthai_0-1696297622631.png