cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 6500 question (newbie here :) )

kderrick123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I'm very much a beginner with Cisco stuff, so go easy on me :-) I've taken a few courses, but haven't had to apply them in real work stuff (lack of cisco managed switches), so i'm re-learning. I am working as a consultant, and the client I am at has some switches, however the password that is on the config file is not working.

enable secret 5 (it's about 30 characters long)
enable password (PW Here)

I have both of these in the config file

In addition, I have the "line vty pwd".I was able to telnet in, so the line vty is OK, however when using the "enable" command, I type the "enable PW" and it won't take it, and I eventually get the % Bad Secrets. I don't know if I'm supposed to enter in that enable secret? I gave it a shot anyway, but it doesn't give me enough time to type it out, it eventually ends up timing out.

So, my guess is maybe the config I have is outdated and the password has changed since then? I can run the "show version" and it's using the same .bin file as the initial show -runningconfig file that was run a few years ago, but possible the pw has since changed? I've seen some ways online to reset, but I'd need to reboot the switch, and that's not really a favored option at this time by the client. I just want to make sure what I'm guessing is accurate so I know to move on to a different strategy. Thanks everyone!

3 Replies 3

Tim Y
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You're not typing in the correct password. You would need to type in the enable secret one, but not what is shown in the config though as that's just the hash to obscure the actual password.

If you have the config file you could check if the console or http is configured any differently than the VTY lines - maybe you can to Privileged EXEC through there without using the enable credentials.

But if not, you will have to perform a password recovery. Which is very likely unless you can find documentation elsewhere that reveals what password to use.

Good luck!

Regards,

Tim

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

can you go into config mode at all?

also, maybe send the complete config.

cheers

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Can't go into config mode at all unfortunately. 

I've attached the log