Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ESW 540 - how to enable PoE

luumanioro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have three ESW-540-48 switches and we are currently moving our office to VoIP telephony. The main reason we bought these switches was VoIP however I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong but I can configure PoE on those switches.

PoE.PNG

Everytime I try to open PoE Settings on this switch I get the following information:

System currently contains no POE supporting  units

For test purpose I have conecte one of the Cisco VoIP SPA504G phone directly to the switch on eth0/40, phone doesn't turn on and it looks like power signal is not sent to the phone.

Do I need any additional PoE module for this switch or is there anything else I miss there?

Thanks for your advice,

Lukasz

3 Replies 3

slashdots
Level 1
Level 1

I'm sorry to say, your switch does not support POE.

The models with POE support have a "P" in its name. For example "ESW-520-48P-K9"

There are three Options:

A: Buy a POE switch
B: Buy POE injectors
C: Buy Power supply for Phones

Edit:

Full List of the ESW 540 Series here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps10143/data_sheet_c78-521740.html

Regards

Stefan

Thanks Stefan for a prompt reply.

Do you know by any chance what POE injector for this particular switch I should look for?

Regards,

Lukasz

No, I've never worked with Power injectors if multiple devices use POE.

I know "blackbox" (www.blackbox.com) do have Power Injectors, but I do not have personal experiance with such device.

Regards

Stefan