cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SG300-28 VLAN issues

elkosupertech
Level 1
Level 1

I'm throwing this out in hopes of finding a solution.  I just purchased the Cisco SG300-28 to replace an old Catalyst 3548 switch.  I have three VLAN's and I use a separate routing appliance.  My VLANS I use are 1 (management/Trunk), 100 (Regular Access), and 101 (Restricted Access).  On the Catalyst 3548 I statically assigned the ports for the Vlans.  My servers use trunk ports to communicate between the VLANs for various services.

My problem is that when I setup the SG300-28 for trunk ports for the servers, I can communicate with them so long as I'm on another port that's not setup for the other two VLANS.  Vlan 100 and 101 don't route or get DHCP anymore.  I am also not able to ping back into the Vlans from the trunk ports.

I believe my issue is that I don't understand the difference between the old way of statically assigning Vlans to the ports from the new way.  I was using V3 of the Cisco Networking Assistant which is different from the Web Interface of the Cisco SG300.  It also could be that I wasn't using the trunk ports properly.

Either way, any assistance would certainly be appreciated.  Thank you.

DJ Smith

3 Replies 3

Kevin Tomomitsu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi DJ,

Would you be able to attach the switch configuration file? You can remove logins and IP address information.

Hi Kevin,

I think what we need to see is the;

1. old working switch configuration

2. a topology diagram would be most useful,  indicating which vlan is tagged or untagged at which port.

regards Dave

elkosupertech
Level 1
Level 1

I did get this switch figured out finally and I apologize for not getting back to this sooner.  I had crafted a response only to have this board dump it so I am using notepad to

save everything before posting.

Here is a basic diagram

/--------------{CISCO SG300-28}------------------------------------\

|                                    |                         |                                  |           | 

|                                    |                         |                                  |           |

[Cisco 3548]    [VMWare ESXi 3.5]  [Windows SVR 2003]        |           |

[Port 13]                 [Port 28]           [Port 27]                   [Ports 1-6] [Ports 7-12]

/   \                       |                                  |           |

/     \                      |                                  |           |

/       \                     |                                  |           |

/         \        [VLAN1, 100]            [WrkStns]   [WrkStns]

/           \                                       [VLAN100]   [VLAN101]  

[Astaro GTWY  ] [MS Svr 2008]     

[VLAN1,100,101] [VLAN1      ]

VLAN1   - Management

VLAN100 - Main Network

VLAN101 - Restricted Network

I just put the main players on this setup.  The problem I was having is that the workstations wouldn't communicate with any of these devices.

My problem was understanding how to use the web interface of the SG300 to get the devices to talk to the other devices.

In the Cisco 3548 setup using the Cisco Networking Assistant you setup the ports to the VLANS was very staight forward.  Set 802.q and VLAN ID to the VLAN you wanted or ALL in

the case of the Servers.

With the Web interface, this is what I discovered:

Under Create VLAN, I had to create VLAN 100 and 101

Under Interface Settings, Set Ports g1-g6 to General.  Administrative PVID to 100.

Then Set Ports g7 - g14 to General.  Administrative PVID to 101

Then set Port g27 to General.  Administrative PVID left to 1

Also set Port g28 to General.  Again, left PVID to 1

Go to Port to VLAN settings;

Change VLAN ID = to 100 press GO

Select g1-g6 to untagged. Checked PVID box.  Also checked g13, g27, g28 to tagged.

Changed VLAN ID = 101 Press GO

Select g7-g14 to untagged.  Checked PVID box. Also checked g13, g28 to tagged.  Verified g27 to untagged.

After that it was setup up like my old setup.  Everything communicating as it should.