Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure cbs350 VLAN to assign a different IP range then the router

kmercrer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 

I have a cisco cbs350 that is connected to a router that provided an IP range that I did not want.  The VLAN1 is directly connected to the router with DHCP. 10.1.10.x I changed this so the switch would provide the DHCP.

I created new VLANs 10, and 20 on the CBS350 and added IPv4 Interface static 192.168.10.200 and 192.168.20.200 and added the DHCP service on the switch. 

I assigned the trunk port for all the VLANs.

The Problem is the VLAN 10 or 20 is not assigning the 192.168 DHCP addresses and when I manually assign a computer's address to 192.168.1.x I no longer have access to the router. 

What step am I missing?

19 Replies 19

Hi I made a copy of the config. It would be nice if you could take a look. I appreciate it. I has ge 8 looking to get access to the router from VLAN 10

I don’t see how the switch would know what IP address to assign to vlan 10. You have two subnets assigned (.1 and .10) and each has a DHCP pool. It can’t know whether to assign a .1 or .10 so will perhaps do neither. Stick to one subnet per vlan and see if that helps.

I think you will probably need to do something with DNS but try and get the basics first. . . 

Not sure why your not getting an IP address on vlan 20 but you don't have any access ports on that?  I would recommend having the (static) switch IP outside of the DHCP pool range though, yours is in the middle of it.  Perhaps stop the pool short at .199

Hi, I was trying the VLAN 1 and 10 to see if it would help. I have a new configuration with just VLAN 1 to DHCP server to 192.168 and will send it when later when back at the computer.  I'll explain the reason I did each action and that may help. Thank you for looking at my efforts. I did add DNS to this configuration last night and will change the stop to 199. I'll resend after doing some test. Thanks again.

KJK99
Level 3
Level 3

@kmercrer 

I’ve edited your configuration file for you based on the information you had provided so far. It hasn’t been tested so there may be some error there. If it does not work, it should give you some pointers at least. You also need to add the following static route to your Internet router on its LAN side and disable its DHCP server.

192.168.0.0   255.255.0.0   10.1.10.64

Kris K

Hi thank you KJ. I will load it tonight when I get to church and work with it. Thank you so much.