cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I turn a SF300 series switch into a dumb switch?

dmjacoby1
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to hook up a SF300 switch to a cable modem and then plug some phones into the switch that are configured with static IPs.  I am able to access the switch without an issue, but need it to pass traffic from the phones to the network and it is not doing so.  We cannot do trunking because we are not using BSoD modems yet (next phase).  For now, we just need the switches to pass everything from the phones to the network as is.

Any ideas?

Dave                  

4 Replies 4

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi David, the cable modem is it also a router? Or do you configure your phones with static public IP?

It is impossible to make the SX300 switch entirely unmanaged. But, in its default state there is no reason for the IP phones to not be working unless there is a different problem.

-Tom
Please rate helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

I had a feeling that was the case.

The cable modem is strictly a cable modem.  The phones are configred with a private IP address which is routed through our internal network.  We have a gateway configured on the CMTS for the subnet configured on the phones.  I think one of the problems is VLAN 1 automatically grabs a public address for management.  I tried changing that to the same subnet as the phones, but that did not help.

Dave

David, the IP address on the SF300 is for management purpose only. The switch is layer 2 by default therefore IP does not matter to the unit. The switch does not perform NAT or DHCP and does not perform route function (at default parameter). The phones need to be subject to your internal LAN NAT.

-Tom
Please rate helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

That is true.  I know that.  I don't know what I was thinking.  Anyway, I will keep playing with it and see what I can figure out.

Thanks,

Dave