Views
Helpful
Replies

SF100 - 24

alimushtaq1988
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I have a cisco SF100-24 switch and i am trying to connect 12 Access point along with it.(Access point are working as Wifi routers)The acess point are of TP-link and i have a DSL modem to connect to the internet which is connected through LAN to the switch.

Now the problem that i am facing is whenever i connect more then 3 Acess point the switch gets unstable and starts hanging frequently(by hanging i mean all the lights on the switch starts blinking)and the internet stops working on the AP,to resolve this issue either i have to plug out some of the LAN cables of AP or restart the switch.

So kindly help me out on this

6 Replies 6

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Ali, that is quite an odd behavior. Is it possible there is a network loop? The result of unplugging devices from the switch usually indicates some sort of network loop / broadcast storm.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi tom,

Thank you so much for the concern and reply, as i am not very good in networking could you please help me how to rectify this broadcast storm thing because i think you are right, is it done by reconfiguring the Access points?as i am working on class C pool of ip's and i have allotted 192.168.1.1 to the Dsl Internet modem and carried it in all of the Access point from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.13 and keeping the gateway 192.168.1.1 in all of the access points.I have closed the DHCP of the Access point and kept the DHCP of the DSL modem on.

If you need any more information please tell me, i really appreciate your help.

Ali

Hi Ali, first try to identify when there is a problem. Assume all connections have been removed from the switch. Connect to your router - is there a problem? Next, connect an access point to the switch - is there a problem? Attempt to connect wireless client to the access point - is there any problem yet? Introduce the second access point - is there a problem? Wireless connect a client to second access point - is there a problem yet?

Does your access point service as a bridge or repeater for another access point or router?

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the suggestion i did try everything as you just told me and  when i connected 3 access points it was working fine i even connected more then one device to the 3 access points but it was responding properly and i left it for around 5 to 6 hours and it was working OK. Then as i connected the 4th access point within few minutes all the lights on the switch started blinking i took out the LAN cable of that 4th access point but it didn't help so i took out 2 more access points cable then the switch normalised.

And yes the 4th access point that i connected was further connected through a repeater for another access point.Do you think the problem is occuring due to the repeater?

Waiting for your response

Ali

Hi Ali, that sounds like it could be the problem. Everything works until then. So... if you remove the configuration from AP #4 or give it similar configuration to your other 3 AP, does it work ok?

-Tom

Hi Tom,

AP 4 has the same configuration as the rest of the AP's but still don't know why it is not working properly