Views
Helpful
Replies

SG200 serie tagged paquets untagged and passed through PVID

michel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I just beggin support for a new office using 5 SG200, 3 50-24P and 2 26-12P.

I'm trying to configure 2 VLAN on the same port. VLAN 1 is defaut VLAN and PVID for every interfaces and I want to add tagged VLAN 50 to every interfaces for VoIP phone (phone with switch and PC connected through phone). I want the 2 VLAN to be completly isolated and only be able to communicate between others by passing through my router.

I created VLAN 50 and added it to every interfaces (I don't know which interface goes to which local in the office), and it work fine on a switch (a 50-24P) but not on the other I tryed (a other 50-24P and a 26-12P). The two other switch are in the back of the factory so I didn't tryed them for now.

I found only one difference in the config, the default VLAN on the working switch is 2 instead of 1. The only other difference I also saw was the firmware version, 1.0.0.19 on the switch working fine and 1.1.2 and the 2 others. I think it must be somthing else since 1.1.2 is still available for download even if not the latest.

Working fine switch configuration :

All port are 2U, 50T in trunk mode.

Those that untag the tagged VLAN :
All port are 1UP, 50T in trunk mode.

The P seem only related to firmware version since every interfaces PVID is configured as 1.

I read the manual VLAN port twice but can't find where the problem is.

Help would be really appreciated on this.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Michael Muenz
Level 5
Level 5

I never touched a SG200 before, but when it comes to voice you should make use of Voice VLAN and SmartPorts.

Also when trunking between switches, the default VLAN should be the same.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/csbss/sf20x_sg20x/administration_guide/78-21139.pdf

Michael Please rate all helpful posts

Thanks Ciscomax for the answer.

Why smartport would help me ? From what I saw on the manual, it seem only to replicate the config of a interface to multiple interface for fast and easy depoyment. Am I missing something ? For the voice VLAN, seem like the VLAN must be created first and functionnal. Configuring it as voice VLAN only seem to apply QoS automaticly. Am I also missing somthing else here ?

Also, why trunking should have the same VLAN ID ? It's untagged so it can change of VLAN from one switch to a other compared to tagged VLAN that can't. Sure it make things more complexe but it's already working and it won't change anything for VLAN 50 if I change default VLAN. Also, the switch that don't use the same default VLAN is the only one that act as expected with VLAN 50.

Finally, thanks for link but like already writen on my first post, I already read the manual (the VLAN part twice).

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Michel, what kind of router do you have?

The SG200 is a layer 2 switch, it cannot intervlan communicate which also means it cannot support routes for additional vlans to route.

How is everything working? Can you make a diagram of what services voice and what services data?

The reason this is important is because if you're feeding vlans over the same wire going to an internet router, that router will need to support the dot1q vlan for your second vlan to work, otherwise only your vlan 1 works for anything.

The second reason is very important, you may need to be running 2 physical connections depending on DHCP dependencies, voice gateway, etc.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Tom, thnaks for the answer. The router is a Fortigate, not sur about the model but the routing between the 2 VLAN will be done via the PBX, a linux server that already have a configured, tested and working VLAN (eth0.50) with DHCP on it.

Here the diagram. The PBX is plugged directly to the ISP router with is own public IP address. The orange rectangle is the details of the phone that work fine. It receive a IP adress of the PBX on the VLAN50 interface. I use the same phone plugged into the 3 switchs for the test and only this one worked as expected. The more I look at this problem and the more I think it's a firmware problem but it's so a basic feature for a switch that I don't expect a bug like this for a firmware still available for download.