cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300-20 won't acquire IP address

shkemp
Level 1
Level 1

I have a new SG300-20 that I installed on March 1st, the installation went fine and it acquired an IP address from the router (DSL modem) and I accessed the switch and setup SNTP, new user, saved configuration and logged out Worked fine on Monday logged in looked at several options, logged out without changing anything.  This morning, happened to look at the switch and saw that the System light was blinking, tried to login and couldn't, Rebooted the switch and the modem, still no IP address for the switch.  I haven't connected through the Console yet, but will later.  The switch is working and I have access to all resources and the Internet.

The firmware is at 1.3.x

Any ideas on why it won't get an IP address?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thank you for letting us know.

My recommendation will be for you to assign a static IP address right away as it is the standard, this way you will always be able to access it. 

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

cchamorr
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

I'm sorry you are having issues with your device. I don't think it is failing or that it is not getting an IP address, the blinking light only means that that the device does not have an static IP address assigned to it and it is working on DHCP.

My recommendation is for you to download and install the Cisco FindIt tool, then connect the PC directly to the SG300 and the tool will let you know what is the current IP address of the device, that way you will be able to access it again and configure it.

Here is a link to the tool.

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=282833583&flowid=18841&softwareid=283453334&release=1.1.0&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

I hope this helps

I'll try that, however on Sunday and Monday, I was able to view the switches IP address when I logged into the router (DSL modem), now I do not see the switch listed as an attached device.

Should I set a static IP address for it?  My other choice is to set the switch to Layer 3 and use it as a DHCP Server?

Hello, 

I'm not sure why it wouldn't be showing on the DHCP table if it is still passing traffic, that's the reason I asked you to use the software, because it will tell you what is the current IP address and then we will be able to figure out what is happening exactly.

Also, if anything else is working correctly on the network I wouldn't advise you to change the switch to layer 3 as you may have to do a lot of configuration changes to get it to work correctly on your current setup.

Please let us know what are the results of the test.

I tried FindIt and nothing was displayed, it couldn't find the switch. Yes the switch is still passing traffic. I'm about to take the network down and restart everything, I'll let you know what happens.

That is absolutely bizarre.

Please run the test and let us know

So, I cold started the router and switch after 20 minutes.  Router first, then switch and the switch acquired an IP address from the router.  I checked the logs and nothing out of the ordinary.  I then ran FindIt and the switch showed up.

I'm going to leave the network alone for a few days and see what happens, then I may either assign a static IP or change the switch to Layer 3.  I think the problem is with the modem/router and not the switch.

Thanks for your help.

My recommendation will be for you to assign a static IP address right away as it is the standard, this way you will always be able to access it. 

Thanks for your recommendation, I'm going to do that when I upgrade the firmware later this week.  The switch has been running fine now for 6 days with no problems as a DHCP client.  No idea why or how this problem happened, just glad that everything works.

I'm glad it is working for you.