cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300-52P Firmware update bricked switch.

LeeRichard
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all.

I was updating an SG300-52P I picked up used. I own a dozen other SG300 variations, and have had no issues with firmware updates.

This time, I was updating the firmware, and before rebooting, chose reset startup config.

Now the device has a rapidly flashing status light. Seems to be locked in the boot cycle. Ethernet ports do light up when connected to another switch, but the switch does not appear in the FindIT 2.0 app, nor am I able to connect to it via RS232.

I have tried powercycling with a network cable connected, and without. The reset button does not respond, but was working before. I even tried the 90 second reset (Press and hold reset for 30 seconds, power off for 30 seconds while still holding reset, then power on and continue holding reset for 30 seconds)

Nothing seems to get this thing to come back. Is it bricked? Are there any internal solutions I can try?

Thank you for the help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Time for Contact TAC for RMA - if no output on console ( as you mentioned you tried all the options)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

as per the information may be, but if you can sort the console and post complete boot log we can help.

BB

Thanks for the reply.

Console connection works fine on other SG300 switches. I take the serial cable from one that is working and showing all the boot data, and when I connect to this switch, there is nothing. The fans power up and the status light blinks rapid green, and nothing else happens. And network ports light up when a cable is connected to that port.

Edit: I have even tried having an active session, and watching the good switch boot with all the data in Putty, then directly plugging the cable into the bad switch, and turning it on, and there is no response. No Boot1 Checksum Test, just no response. 

And yet, it worked perfectly fine until I did the firmware upgrade.

Time for Contact TAC for RMA - if no output on console ( as you mentioned you tried all the options)

BB

Yeah I bought it for 100 euros. I will take the loss and keep it for spare parts. Such a shame now that it's EOL/EOS that they don't release the repair manuals to be able to service them ourselves.