Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SLM2048 Dropping Connections

I have a problem with 6 SLM2048 (and 2024) switches we purchased last year.  At first they seemed to work fine, but now I'm rebooting them about once a week at minimum. The problem is that ports start going dead.  An affected computer will sometimes still be able to ping other machines, but no other traffic is allowed through. Rebooting the computer, giving it a new IP, new cables, etc. doesn't work.  Rebooting the switch usually works for about a week or so, then ports start going dead again and another reboot is needed.

21 Replies 21

I think I may be experiencing exactly the same thing as these other posters, using firmware 2.0.0.8. C
isco, where are you? This must be a known issue given the number of posts about it. Fix it. Get us some firmware that works.

Hello !

a guy from Cisco wrote me that  there is a official BUG described under CSCtg30340.

He has no further details but a workaround for these issue :

If you do not have redundancy between two or more switches you should disable STP.

And enable on all Ports with connected networkdevices "portfast"

I did so and have no trouble in this network since mid of May. I hope this helps me to calm down my customer.

I´m not happy about the support. If there is a known issue Cisco should call back those buggy switches.

For me my decission is taken. We now use HP Switches.

hope you will be lucky with this workaround

regards Thomas

I wish I checked here before buying these plagued switches.

I upgraded from 1.0.1 to 2.0.0.8 and was suprised that my login didn't work admin/admin did work.  One of the switches, keeps blink SYSTEM.  I will research that later.  For me the upgrade was worse than the problem.  Because I lost control of my network and with a switch down, crippled it.  It seems that Cisco is not what they used to be.  Pullin' the rip cord!

I hadn't looked back at this thread in a while, but was interested to hear this. My replacement switches are also needing reboots now.  One of them I need to reboot weekly.  I've now tried putting in the workaround you were given. We'll see over the next couple of weeks if it helps.

I have 10 SLM2048 equipments about 1 year.  Looking for solution to solve the same problems.

Can it solve the problem as you said befor to "disable STP and enable on all Ports with connected network devices "portfast""

Recently, my department is going to buy 11 new products. Should i strongly recommend my department excluding the SLM2048 as considered?

Hello,

we have several SLM at customer and had had all the trouble in the LAN . with deactivating the STP functions the switches now work without any issues.

I don not buy any cisco switches anymore. Linksys / Cisco had a good name but it is very disappointing that kind of quality. HP and now with 3COM are a very good alternative...

Other big probelem we have par example the NSS4000 / 6000  stops working in the LAN. The do not answer a ping and a cold reset is neede. often than 2 time a month...

and cisco is not willing / able to clear that problem.

So we are responsible for that in the customers eye and tha nobody could afford....

regardsa Thomas

nimusell
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Thank you very much for participating in the Small Business Support Community. My name is Nico Muselle from Cisco Sofia STAC.

Cisco recognizes that there indeed is a problem with the SLM2048 switches and ports going down and as mentioned earlier in this thread, an official bug has been opened for it. However, the switch development team has been fully consumed with the development for the release of the new Nikola switches (Sx100, Sx200 and Sx300 series) leaving very little time for bugfixes for "older" switches. As the development resources are limited, choices had to be made.

On the other hand, the workaround mentioned here definitely is a valid one. Disabling STP completely where not necessary, or setting port STP mode to portfast where possible makes sure that the switches work as expected, without ports going down.

If you would be concerned about disabling STP if your switches are not physically secured and someone could "by accident" create a loop, you could prevent this by implementing port security so that the port shuts down if another MAC address is detected. This is always a good practice to enhance your network security and avoid problems. If your network requires STP for redundancy, put all the ports not connecting to another switch in portfast mode.

I can assure you that Cisco does care about it's customers and about this problem, and if you would need any help on configuring your switches in such a way that they do keep working in your network, please do not hesitate to contact me or raise a ticket with your local support center referring to this thread.

Best regards,

Nico Muselle

Sr. Network Engineer - CCNA