cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

srw 2008 problem

sicariatus
Level 1
Level 1

hello i need some help    i  was following   this tutoriol to configured a vlan on my switch , but a made a mistake and i lock my self out of the switch ,i changed the default vlan 1

for vlan 2 whit out seting the pvid and now i cant get access to the switch is there a way resseting it

ps i have try  by telnet with no luck so far

any help will be  much appreciable

i got stuck on image 12 here i did not completed the steps

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-howto/30071-vlan-how-to-segmenting-a-small-lan?start=4

hola nesecito ayuda con el srw 2008 estaba siguiendo este tutorial , pero cometi un error al intentar cambiar  la vlan 1 que viene por defecto por una que yo habia creado vlan 2 pero que todabia no le habia asignado el pvid , por lo cual no puedo aceder al switch , ni por telnet , y si le doy ping me sale destination host unreachable , y quisiera resetearlo de alguna manera

gracias de antemano

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Juan,

If the putty screen just dissappears, the  reason might be that telnet is not allowed to the switch. Can you try  using the same setting but connect using SSH ?

Another thing you might want to try, is setting the VLAN ID on your network adapter. To do this, go to the properties of your LAN network adapter, then click on the button "Configure" next to the network adapter you are using (the hardware specification) and then click the advanced tab.

You will see a setting "VLAN & Priority", set it to "Enable VLAN&Priority" ...Then click "VLAN Id" and set it to 2. Click OK to save your settings. And try to ping the switch IP address.

Let me know if either of these solutions work, ok ?

Best regards,

Nico Muselle

Sr. Network Engineer - CCNA

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

rmanthey
Level 4
Level 4

The only three ways out are you can try to reboot, if you didn't save the settings. You can try the console conection, since that dosn't use TCP/IP it wont matter what VLAN is being used. The third is a factory reset.

Cisco Small Business Support Center

Randy Manthey

CCNA, CCNA - Security

thank u for responding

yes i did saved , do i  need the original console cable ?  and can u explain me what is factory reset ? you mean i have to take for service?

Hi Juan,

Thank you for participating in the Small Business support community. My name is Nico Muselle from Cisco Sofia SBSC.

The console cable is the cable that was delivered with the switch when you purchased it, it should be a normal serial cable. You have to connect using putty or hyperterminal with a speed of 38400 baud.

Then you log on to the console using your normal login and password. In the menu you will have the option to reset the switch to factory defaults. This will erase the startup configuration and set the switch back to it's standard configuration, the management vlan will be VLAN 1.

To learn how to connect through the console cable, you can take a look here and look for chapter 4. If you are not really sure on how to do it or you need any assistance, you can always contact your nearest Small Business Support Center, contact phone numbers can be found here

Hope this helps

Best regards,

Nico Muselle

hello nico

yes i have try coneting with serial cable that came with it , and try conecting with putty but with no luck so far

baud 38400

none

none

the putty screens  just disappears,

Hi Juan,

If the putty screen just dissappears, the  reason might be that telnet is not allowed to the switch. Can you try  using the same setting but connect using SSH ?

Another thing you might want to try, is setting the VLAN ID on your network adapter. To do this, go to the properties of your LAN network adapter, then click on the button "Configure" next to the network adapter you are using (the hardware specification) and then click the advanced tab.

You will see a setting "VLAN & Priority", set it to "Enable VLAN&Priority" ...Then click "VLAN Id" and set it to 2. Click OK to save your settings. And try to ping the switch IP address.

Let me know if either of these solutions work, ok ?

Best regards,

Nico Muselle

sorry but i dont see that option on my windows here is and image

Hi Juan,

Thank you so much for your feedback, I'm afraid setting the VLAN on your network card is not an option as it does not seem to be VLAN aware. However, did you try connecting to the switch using SSH ?

Are you sure that the console cable you are using is a normal serial  cable and not a nullmodem cable ?

Best regards,

Nico Muselle

hi nico

well iam using the cable that come with the switch , do i have to fecht a diferent one?

well i was able to connect via serial cable , from other cisco switch that i had i gess my was defective

so problem solved

thak u nico for your help