cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stack ports and vlan membership

MikeEG
Level 1
Level 1

I have 3x CBS350 switches set up in a stack. I configured the first switch from the console added a data vlan, IP address and added all the ports in to the data vlan. I then connected all 3 together and set up the stack using the web interface. Once done this way I added the ports of units 2 and 3 to the data vlan via the web interface (but the stack ports could not be added and they were not visible in the web interface). Then I went back in to the console to see what the config looked like.

On unit 2 and 3 the stack ports were in vlan 1 still but on unit 1 the stack ports were in the data vlan because I had manually added them.

My question is should the stack ports all be in vlan 1 or the data vlan? 

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
5 Replies 5

KJK99
Level 3
Level 3

@MikeEG 

I have two CBS350 switches in my stack and the stack ports do not show in the web UI at all. That's normal although it would be nice to be able to see some stats. Once the stack is set up, the stack ports do not require any additional configuration.

Kris K

Thanks for the reply - but I guess I am more asking does it matter if they are in different vlans? I suppose not as the stack still worked. To avoid confusion I removed the stack ports on switch 1 from the data vlan and added back to vlan 1

Hi @MikeEG 

This video can help you to make sure all is in place. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbKd9XQvVrw

Thanks, I guess this means don't mess with the vlan assignment. I moved the stack ports on switch 1 back to vlan 1 just in case this could cause an issue. For clarification though does it matter what vlan stack ports are assigned to?

It does not.