cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trying to understand difference between CBS250 and CBS350 lines of switches.

RodgerB
Level 1
Level 1

My company has deployed a lot of SG350, SG350X, and SG550X switches in the past (we are a A/V integrator).  I am trying to grasp the fundamental differences between these 2 new lines of switches (CBS250 vs. CBS350).

I see the CBS250 line has 10G SFP options now, and wondring what I am leaving on the table if I start building networks from the CBS250 line of options.  

I am HAPPY to read a white paper on the topic, but after an hour looking through the cisco.com website I have yet to find any information specific to this question.  TIA

16 Replies 16

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

The CBS350 48 port can supply up to 740W of POE power. All models of CBS350 support sFlow and switch stacking.

cheers,

Seb.

So does that mean there is NO OTHER difference between the CBS250 and CBS350 products lines?  It would seem to me there would be quite a few other differences in the way I assume there are many differences between the SG250 and SG350 lines of current switches.  Its surprisingly hard to find a concise list of features and capabilities and differences between the SG250 and SG350 switch lines, even though those have been out for quite some time now.

Hello again,

Take a look at this document:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/business-250-series-smart-switches/nb-06-bus-switch-trans-guide-cte-en.html

..it is marketed to show the key differences between them platforms. I'd agree there isn't much here, but when the price points are so close there isn't really going to be much between them.

cheers,

Seb.

Can we do stacking with SG350 and CBS350 ?

or SG with CBS switches?

Hello Mohammad,

Cross stacking between SG350 switches and the latest generation of CBS350 series is not supported.

Regards,

Martin

Thanks For your prompt response.

Do they have different ASCIC hardware chipset ? major difference on Chipset side?

Hi Mohammad,

The CBS350 series have improved next-generation Network ASIC.

Regards,

Martin

MichalZ
Level 1
Level 1

Main differences I recognized:

CSB250CSB350
PoETak 370W (48 port)Tak 740W (48 port)
MAC table8k 16k
VLANs2554094
IGMP 1,2,3up to 255 multicastsup to 2k multicasts
ACL512 rules1024 rules
stackablenoyes (10G models)
sFlownoyes

Really, no stacking of CBS250-24p-4X switches at all?

What are the 10G SFP+ ports for, if I cannot connect to a second CBS250-24p-4X?

I just want to connect two switches together with 10G fiber tranceivers, to be faster than with 1GbE with standard copper cable!?

Now I have to think if the CBS250 were a bad buy...?!

Hello,

The SFP+ uplink ports on CBS250 switches do support 1G and 10G SFP modules so you can connect them both. What SFP transceivers are you using to connect the switches?

Supported SFP modules are listed in the datasheet:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/business-250-series-smart-switches/nb-06-bus250-smart-switch-ds-cte-en.html

Thanks

I use SFP+ trancievers from 10Gtek, they told me that these are compatible with CBS250-24P-4X...

Or is this not true?

I moved further details of my problem to a new topic:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/small-business-switches/how-to-interconnect-two-cbs250-24p-4x-with-10g-sfp-fiber-patch/td-p/4463439

Rudi21,

We officially do support only listed SFPs with the product datasheet. Other third party SFP transceivers may or may not work.

Thanks,
Martin

Okay, reasonable, but if I order/buy/get new official supported tranceivers next days/week, will it work out-of-the-box, i.e. establish the interconnection without any settings in the switch-OS? Of do I have also again to enable the SFP+ ports or similar beforehand? If yes, please tell me what to do.

Thanks

The SFPs will work out of the box with the default switch port settings.

Thanks,
Martin
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X