Views
Helpful
Replies

unmanaged switch on a managed switch

brazal123
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

So I have a customer with limited funds.

He bought 1 sg200 26p Switch and has some unmanaged switches he wants to keep using.

I need to seperate some division, guest network and phones.

So on the router i created some vlans with a dhcp server on each of them. on the cisco sg200 i also created these vlans.

When I create an access port for vlan 10 bhy example and I connect 1 of the unmanaged switches to it all devices connected to the unmanaged switch are in vlan 10 and get an ip from the vlan 10 dhcp.  So this works.

The part that doesnt work.

They have ip phones with an extra port for connecting a pc by example.

In the settings of the phones I can define a VLAN.

Is it possible to connect these phones to the unmanaged switch so that all the pc's get connected to a vlan I define on the port on the cisco switch and the phones to keep their vlan I defined in the settings of the phone?

So I want to connect devices to an unmanaged switch that is connected on a port of a managed switch. the devices that have no vlan settings (like a normal laptop or desktop) should all get a vlan 10 tag for example. The devices where i can set the vlan in the settings (like the ip phones) should be left alone and keep the vlan I defined in the settings.possible?

Hope I explained it correct.

extra question.  If this is not possible and we have to buy extra managed switches.  What would the setting of the port be where I connect a phone that needs to keep it vlan and the pc connected to the phone to get on a vlan I would define on the cisco port?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

shaps
Level 3
Level 3

you wont be able to do this as the unmanaged switch will not recognise the tags you are passing through.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

shaps
Level 3
Level 3

you wont be able to do this as the unmanaged switch will not recognise the tags you are passing through.