cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why can't I access the default IP on SB300 after assigning an IP to a different VLAN

sprengert
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

sorry if this has been asked before but I can't find a solution using the search I'm trying to configure a SB300  and now I'm encountering a problem.

I've put the Switch into Layer 3 mode and created two additional VLANs, 2 & 3. Ports 1-8 and 10 are set to access mode and put into VLAN 3. Port 9 is a trunk with native VLAN 1 I'm connecting my PC to. I've kept the default IP 192.168.1.254 for VLAN1 and now I want to assign an IP to VLAN 2 and 3 so that I can access the switch when connected to one of these VLANs.

I now try the following commands to assign an IP address but as soon as I send them I always end not being able to communicate to the switch on the VLAN1 address.

conf t

interface vlan 2

ip address 172.16.0.23 /20

conf t

interface vlan 3

ip address 172.16.16.23 /20

Can anyone tell me why this works on the 2960's I've encountered until now but not on the SB 300? As I cannot connect using the serial console (for some reason I receive information but I cannot send even though it's the original cable and the interface on my PC works with other devices) this is a big issue for me.

Thanks for your help

Regards,

Thomas

1 Reply 1

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Thomas, I believe this is happning because you did not assign a static IP to vlan 1 first.

config t

int vlan 1

ip address 192.168.1.254 /24

then do your additional vlan, should work ok.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/