cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2 qty 3750 stack as the only core - pros and cons?

aamercado
Level 4
Level 4

Just looking for pros/cons if I design a 2 qty 3750 stack as the only core…meaning no redundant core. This design avoids Spanning tree and the only disadvantage I can see is we are stuck to one IOS (since there is no backup core to run a diff ios) or other limitations of the stack – can’t think of anything else but the IOS one. 

4 Replies 4

davidbranka
Level 1
Level 1

I've been running a 6 switch stack of 3750G switches as my core since 2003 and I'm very happy with the product.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Don't go beyond six units per stack.

I have heard of the over 6 stack of switch problems but I also heard from a Cisco Engineer that issue was resolved in a release and is no longer a limitation?  If you're looking at purchasing the 3750 the 3750x has a faster backplane speed than the 3750G so consider that in your plans.

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

As a general rule, there is nothing wrong with using the 3750 as a core for a not to big company/branch office.

I have used it myself for a couple of years.

The pros are fast switching between the switches through the stack ring, if you go with the x version you also have a major advantage in powerstacking over the older models and 802.1ae between 3750x switches is planned for, if that is something that you are interersted in (i think most of us should be interested in that) and some hardware redundancy.

The cons you only have one IOS running wich means that if that ios crashes the whole stack goes down, and also when you upgrade the IOS the whole stack will need to be reloaded at the same time.

In my personal opinion, The 3750x is the best in breed if you are to look for 3750 switches.

remember though max 4 switches if you are to use powerstacking.

good luck

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card