Views
Helpful
Replies

2901 Switch Module Issue

ssg14
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a very strange issue which have spent lots of time and can't find any reason for it. Got a 2901 with below modules:

1) NAME: "4 Port FE Switch on Slot 0 SubSlot 0", DESCR: "4 Port FE Switch"
PID: HWIC-4ESW , VID: VN/A, SN: 

2) NAME: "WIC/VIC/HWIC 0 Power Daughter Card", DESCR: "4-Port HWIC-ESW Power Daughter Card"
PID: ILPM-4 , VID: VN/A, SN: 

NAME: "4 Port FE Switch on Slot 0 SubSlot 1", DESCR: "4 Port FE Switch"
3) PID: HWIC-4ESW , VID: V01 , SN: 

Panzer-Router#sh vlan-switch

VLAN Name Status Ports
---- -------------------------------- --------- -------------------------------
1 default active Fa0/0/0, Fa0/0/1, Fa0/0/2, Fa0/0/3, Fa0/1/0, Fa0/1/1, Fa0/1/2, Fa0/1/3
1002 fddi-default act/unsup
1003 token-ring-default act/unsup
1004 fddinet-default act/unsup
1005 trnet-default act/unsup

All 8 ports of the switch modules are in VLAN1 as per above. My issue is whatever I connect to Fa0/1/x cannot ping the VLAN1 ip. Here is what I have done till now:

- Swapped module in slot1(non-working) to working slot 0 test if the switch module 2 is dead , works fine (switch module no issue)

- Swapped the the working module in slot0 to slot1 to test if the router mainboard (Slot1) has an issue , works fine(router mainboard seems fine)

- Swapped the non-working module in slot1 to slot 2/3 to test (while slot0 present) , doesn't work but when i remove slot0 works!!!! 

- Swapped working module in slot0 to slot2 or 3 when slot1 present , stops working but slot 1 module starts working... :O)

Whatever I have done , i can't have both working.

Any idea? or any test you think i can do to verify? is there a limitation of how many switch modules can be inserted in 29xx?!

Thanks

Samy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mlund
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

Isn't those module the ones that have to have one physical cross-over-cable connected between one port in each module?

/Mikael

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

they should be able to have 2 wics as per doc below , maybe its the software have you tried a newer version says you need minimum below just in case its that

Cisco 2900 Series

15.0(1)M: IP Base License of the Universal Image

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/high-speed-wan-interface-cards/product_data_sheet0900aecd8016bf0b.html

I'm running the latest version mate 15.4M7 or something

mlund
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

Isn't those module the ones that have to have one physical cross-over-cable connected between one port in each module?

/Mikael

It is my understanding that Mikael is correct. This router can have 2 switch modules but that the router backplane communicates with only one of the switch modules. For the second module to work it must have one of its ports connected to a port in the other switch module.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks Richard , that's a bit strange but if i understood correctly this reminds me a VDC inside a 2901 which have to physically run a cable to another VDC...lol

Hopefully the ports are auto-sensing so no cross-over needed ,  I'll test it tonight and update.

auto-sensing would be nice. Hope that is the case. But in any event the important thing is that the second switch module needs to have a port with a cable to a port on the first switch module. If you try a standard Ethernet cable and it works then that is great. But if it does not work then you need to try a cross over.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Tested it :)
Mikael (yourself) were right , have to cable like a VDC (burn a port from each switch module and physically cable them). Ports are autosensing , no crossover needed. Turned spanning tree off and works perfectly. It's one of the things never mentioned in any Datasheet i guess :D

Thanks again to both of you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card