cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2911 ISR G2 as a core switch in campus network?

Hello experts,

Just wonder about having a Cisco 2911 ISR G2 router with Cisco SM-X Layer 2/3 EtherSwitch Service Module (16 port) can be used as a core switch in a campus network. Possible? Our goal is to find a way to simplify our company's network infrastructure by re-using/re-assigning/upgrade some of our existing Cisco network devices in order to reduce cost.

Kindly advice.

Regards,

Alex

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

1Gbps backbone between the switch and router? Where can I find the information?

Go HERE.  

The interface communication between router-to-module may be 1 Gbps but you won't be able to push 1 Gbps.  

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Anything is possible, however, a few points to consider: 

1.  Single point-of-failure:  If your router dies, so does your core switch; 

2.  1 Gbps backbone between your switch and your router.  Nothing more, nothing less.  

Thank you Leo for your reply. 1Gbps backbone between the switch and router? Where can I find the information?

Regards,

Alex

1Gbps backbone between the switch and router? Where can I find the information?

Go HERE.  

The interface communication between router-to-module may be 1 Gbps but you won't be able to push 1 Gbps.  

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Alex,

It is possible but the 2911 is not a very powerful router.  It can work if you need low throughput and your users don't need to download/access files with high speed. So, really its all about your requirement 

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: