Views
Helpful
Replies

2950 switch error msg

psaravanan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi frnds,

I am saravanan from Bangalore. I have 20 numbers of cisco 2950 switches, some switches are given error msgs in the following

lLocal 7

Error

%LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/8, changed state to down

lLocal 7

Notice

%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/8, changed state to down

lLocal 7

Notice

%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/2, changed state to down

lLocal 7

Error

%LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/2, changed state to down

I checked the particular user system, It's in switchoff only. Even though these type of error msg come on frequently. Not only in booting time of the system, even working time also that same error msg come.

Then another one error msg is spanning tree block the port, but that port is connected to normal system only. Once we unplug and plug the cable in the same port, then it's working finely. Please tell me what's the reason for that.

Please tell the solutions for the both queries.

6 Replies 6

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

HI,

Below error can be of flapping of the system in switches and it can be a  informational message and usually requires no action.

If the state change was unexpected, confirm the interface was not administratively shutdown. If so, Issue a 'no shutdown' on this interface to enable it. Also, check the physical cabling. Ensure that the appropriate cables (i.e. straight through or cross-over) are being used. Moreover, verify the proper duplex and speed is configured. Check that the correct media-type is configured when applicable (10BASE-Tor AUI). Lastly, if this interface is not in use issue a 'shutdown' to disableit.

Spanning tree blocking the port is genrally when ever there is up/down state in switch STP calculate at that time it showing it has blocked that particular port.

Hope this helps

Regards

Ganesh.H

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Saravan,

have you configured the ports as auto speed and duplex or have you set speed and duplex?

Try to see if a change in this aspect of configuration can provide a better behaviour.

We have observed similar behaviours in some of our remote branches that use C2950 switches.

We have opened a TAC service request and we have got this feedback.

They also told us that there were no plans to further improve the product because it is reaching end of life.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks for your suggestions,

I already to configure to 100mbps fullduplex and changed to auto mode also. Same error only it display.

If i load a latest IOS in to 2950, then the problems will solve or not

Hi Saravanan

Im not sure if this will be solved with IOS upgrades.. these look valid informational messages, and used for troubleshooting.. If you dont want these messages you can change the logging levels on the switch.. Is this causing an issue on the network ?

Regards

Raj

yes sir,

some time the port has to be blocked automatically while we are working continuosly, then we want to remove the cable from the switch and reconnect to same port, then it will work finely.

In the log, it shows STP blocked the port.

Another one issue is, catalyst 500 series switches show an error msg.

port over utilization, but it will not disable any ports. After seen the log then it goes to normally.

My question is why that port over utilization msg came. This msg shown only few users.

Hello Saravan,

as I wrote in my first post there is no IOS version with a fix with this issue on C2950.

I'm not sure you have  the same problem but it is very close.

We started to notice the problem for IP phones connected to the lan switch registering and deregistering multiple times in a day without any problem on the WAN link.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card