cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960 configuration

gilcas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, got my hands on a Catalyst 2960 plus. I want to set it up for my home network. 24 port btw. I can setup login and secrets and management port. All good so far. I setup a couple of vlans one for network and one for PoE cameras. The question is, once I have created the vlans how do I get the switch to assign the fastethernet ports to the vlans? Thanks, oh yeah an total novice with Cisco switches

6 Replies 6

Hi @gilcas 

You need to get in the port config and run the command

conf t

Interface fastethernet  x/x

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan X

b.winter
VIP
VIP

Why do you post this question in the Collaboration forum? It has nothing to do with Collab^^ There is a specific forum for networking!!

he is new, @gilcas  please label your post with correct label and correct category
for you Q
answer is 
interface range fa0/x - y

switchport access vlan x

that it
thanks 
MHM

What has "new" to do with the fact, that someone cannot select the correct forum?

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @gilcas,

Create the VLANs: Use the 'vlan' command followed by the VLAN number to create each VLAN. For example, to create VLAN 10 for your network and VLAN 20 for your servers, you would enter the following commands:

vlan 10
name Network
vlan 20
name Servers

Assign access ports to VLANs: Access ports are the FastEthernet ports on the switch that connect to end devices. To assign an access port to a VLAN, use the 'interface' command followed by the interface number, and then specify the VLAN using the 'switchport access vlan' command. For example, to assign FastEthernet port 1 to VLAN 10 and FastEthernet port 2 to VLAN 20:

interface FastEthernet 1
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 10

interface FastEthernet 2
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 20

Configure the uplink port: If you have an uplink port connecting to another network device (e.g., a router), you can assign it to a VLAN as well. Use the same 'interface' command followed by the interface number and then specify the VLAN using the 'switchport mode trunk' command. 

interface GigabitEthernet 1/0/1
switchport mode trunk

=> Save the configuration using the 'write' or 'copy running-config startup-config' command. This ensures that the changes persist after a reboot.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

BTW, you have a way to route between your VLANs?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card