Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960 Switch port status down

I am setting up my 2960 switch and only 1 of my ports is showing a status of being up. I have tried different cables in different ports but only one(f0/6) is lighting up. The rest are showing all as being down when I try to assign it an ip address or try to show ip int brief

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Anthony,

Great, the ports probably were shutdown, with show interface status  you will see if there is any device connected to the ports.

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

daniel
Level 1
Level 1

are the other ports marked as administratively down? if so use the no shutdown command to enable them

Hi

If the port is administratively down, you need to enable them executing:  no shutdown, you can enable them using:

using a range command:

interface range fa0/1-48 
no shutdown

Could you please provide: 

show ip int brief    and   show interface status. 

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

It seems now it is back up and the lights are green, before it was up then down and now it's back up again

Hi Anthony,

Great, the ports probably were shutdown, with show interface status  you will see if there is any device connected to the ports.

Hope it is useful

I have another question on the same switch which is a catalyst 2960. I cannot enable SSH.

S1(config)# line vty 0 15
S1(config-line)# transport input ssh  the ssh is not available, when I add a question mark after transport input I get all, and telnet but not ssh

thanks

Hi

The reason is because you need to upgrade to an IOS image that supports SSH. Could you please share your current image? it can be seen using: show version or show flash:

by the way it is the basic SSH configuration:

Basic SSH Config

hostname <switch hostname>
ip domain name <any domain name>
ip ssh ver 2  
ip ssh auth 3   (example value)
ip ssh time 120  (if im not wrong max time is 2 minutes)
cryto key generate rsa

select at least 1024

line vty 0 15
transport input ssh

if you are going to use local credentials (username <user> priv 15 password <password>)

you need to execute:

no aaa new-model
line vty 0 15
login local

Thank you in advance. 

You need an IOS K9 to support SSH configuration, it is an example for Catalyst 2960-48TT-L Switch

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=279963518&flowid=2551&softwareid=280805680&release=12.2.55-SE11&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=ED&reltype=latest

Looks like 12.2

can I upgrade the iOS via a flash drive?

Hi

Yes, you have a basic lanbase IOS you need to upgrade to a lanbaseK9 IOS. You can upgrade the IOS using TFTP:

IOS to upgrade:

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=279963472&flowid=2548&softwareid=280805680&release=12.2.55-SE11&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=ED&reltype=latest

Steps to upgrade:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12-2_25_fx/release/notes/OL7076.html

http://www.philvirtual.com/it/it/how-to-replace-a-cisco-2960-switch-and-upgrade-firmware/

Note: in some cases you need to delete the current IOS to upgrade with a new one, during this process the switch should not be rebooted.  *take cautions*

Hope it is useful

Thank you

Hi Anthony,

You are welcome, have a great day!

Switch port shows administratively down, not up using no shut command. Kindly help for same.

Hello,

that sounds very much like a physical problem with e.g. the Ethernet controllers. What do you see when you reboot the switch ? The output should give you some information on the port failures...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card