Helpful
Replies

2960L Became unreachable suddenly

abimadaro4462
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We've the following setup:

2960L connected via two uplinks as port channel to VSS & another 2960L also connected via port channel to vPC.

The issue is, suddenly the switch became unreachable, no console (stuck) but the traffic still pass-through. The port channel status from the second end became as "I - stand-alone"

After rebooting the switch, things back fine as expected.

We've tried so far to upgrade the IOS to 15.2(6)E2b / 15.2(7)E3

Any suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

some suggestions since we do not know the root cause of freezing.

1. Enable Logging to send the Logs to Syslog server

2. if this is layer2 why not configure the switch port with IP address directly instead of using SVI VLAN for VLAN 130.

interface gi x/x

no switch port

ip address 172.28.130.40 255.255.255.X 

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Check the logs when this happens, better still use a syslog server, to be able to observe messages from the device in a comfortable manner, also pay attention from received messages when everything seems normal.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
 "I - stand-alone"

This Looks like for now parrt of the stack to become standalone (but if you would have got chance to console other switch you might have more information)  - since you rebooted the evidence logs are gone, (until you have any Syslog in place to look deep)

how Long was the stack uptime if you remember?

We've tried so far to upgrade the IOS to 15.2(6)E2b / 15.2(7)E3

what is the current version,

BB

Hello,

It's been a while since the last update, the current version 15.2(6)E2b. We will monitor the logs.

I'm not sure if it is a bug / hardware failure.

post the logs will be helpfull. still i stick with my comment, they may be splitting due to stack issue ?

BB

2960-L are not stacked, do you mean from the VSS side?

Can you elaborate more please ?

2960-L are not stacked

Due to Long i may be missed something here --appologies.  you mean this is single switch connected to VSS - become (I) ?

can you post  below output  2960-L please ?

show version

show switch

show etherchannel summary

BB

Yes, it is a single switch connected to VSS, currently I have no access to the switch, unable to reach the management although the traffic is passing through without any service impacting but no SSH & no Console

the IOS version is 15.2(6)E2b

This may be due to you lost the mgmt vlan access,

can you post configuraiton on VSS side and tell us what is the VLAN for mgmt and what is the switch IP ?

BB

Hello,

the management vlan is 130

Port channel configuration from the VSS side is

interface Port-channel20
switchport
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk allowed vlan 25, 30, 45,10
end

MGMT IP of the VSS node is from vlan 130 as well

MGMT IP of 2960-L

nterface Port-channel20
switchport
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk allowed vlan 25, 30, 45,10
end

do you have any other way to reach VLAN 130, if no then  you need to add vlan 130, i do not see the allowed list here in the port-channel.

switchport trunk allowed add 130 and test it.

BB

This VLAN is reachable through another interface, which is configured as access for VLAN 130 and connected to the OOB network

So adding this VLAN to the port channel might cause a loop

what is that interface? what port did it connect? do you have a route for that? from that device where it connected are you able to ping?

is this interface up on both sides?

we are still not clear of your environment, do you have any small digram and share relevant configuration to understand the environment.

BB

Capture.JPG

The topology is like this, the OOB network is connected to a router and reachable, the interface between OOB switch and 2960-L is up on both ends

From OOB switch can you able to reach Switch IP address ? can you post the complete configuration of 2960L since i see some routing issue maybe for now (but until we see config we can not tell you ?)

BB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card