Views
Helpful
Replies

2960S 10GbE aggregation

dupontjean
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all!

I'm strongly interested in buying a Cisco Catalyst 2960S-24PD-L.

I get from the datasheet that it supports ethernet port aggregation, at least in IEEE 802.3ad mode. My question is: does this work on the 10GbE ports?

The Catalyst 2960S has two 10GbE ports and I would like to aggregate them to a 802.3ad-compliant dual-channel 10GbE NIC: woud that be possible?

Thanks and regards.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Latchum Naidu
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You may not use these two ports for port aggregation.

These are for...

Dual-purpose uplinks for Gigabit Ethernet uplink flexibility, allowing use of either a copper or fiber uplink; each dual-purpose uplink port has one 10/100/1000 Ethernet port and one SFP-based Gigabit Ethernet port, with one port active at a time

Hope this helps you.

If this answered to your question, please clck on correct answer.

Regards,

Naidu.

View solution in original post

Hi,

Yes, it support it seems.

Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP) allows the creation of Ethernet channeling with devices that conform to IEEE 802.3ad. This feature is similar to Cisco EtherChannel technology and PAgP.

See the below link for complete information.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/product_data_sheet0900aecd80322c0c.html

Hope this clear you.

Please click on the correct answer if this answered your question.
Regards,
Naidu.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Latchum Naidu
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You may not use these two ports for port aggregation.

These are for...

Dual-purpose uplinks for Gigabit Ethernet uplink flexibility, allowing use of either a copper or fiber uplink; each dual-purpose uplink port has one 10/100/1000 Ethernet port and one SFP-based Gigabit Ethernet port, with one port active at a time

Hope this helps you.

If this answered to your question, please clck on correct answer.

Regards,

Naidu.

Hi Naidu, and thanks for answering so quickly.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the Cisco Catalyst 2960S-24PD-L had "2 Ten Gigabit Ethernet SFP+" (datasheet); this dual-purpose option is, I beleive, only present on the 2960 series, not the 2960S.

Can anyone confirm that? and, in this case, my original question remains unanswered.

Otherwise Naidu's post will be my correct answer.

Thanks and regards.

Hi,

What's new for the Cisco Catalyst 2960-S Series Switches with LAN Base software:

• 10 and 1 Gigabit Ethernet uplink flexibility with Small Form-Factor Pluggable Plus (SFP+), providing business continuity and fast transition to 10 Gigabit Ethernet

• 24 or 48 ports of Gigabit Ethernet desktop connectivity

• Cisco FlexStack stacking module with 40 Gbps of throughput, allowing ease of operation with single configuration and simplified switch upgrade

• PoE+ with up to 30W per port that allows you to support the latest PoE+ capable devices

• Power supply options, with 740W or 370W fixed power supplies for PoE+ switches are available

• USB storage for file backup, distribution, and simplified operations

• A wide range of software features to provide ease of operation, highly secure business operations, sustainability, and a borderless network experience

Hope this clear you.

Regards,
Naidu.

Thank you Naidu, although my question remains unanswered: since the 2960S-24PD-L features two 10GbE SFP+ ports, can you confirm they support IEEE 802.3ad aggregation mode? (each port being in used with its copper connection).

Hi,

Yes, it support it seems.

Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP) allows the creation of Ethernet channeling with devices that conform to IEEE 802.3ad. This feature is similar to Cisco EtherChannel technology and PAgP.

See the below link for complete information.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/product_data_sheet0900aecd80322c0c.html

Hope this clear you.

Regards,
Naidu.

Thank you very much, that answers my question.

Cordially,

Dupont

Hi Dupont,

Glad to see that my answer is answered your question.
But remember to rate all the helpfull posts.

Hope I meant to you...

Regards,
Naidu.

can you confirm they support IEEE 802.3ad aggregation mode?

The 2960S, particularly the "D" series, can support Etherchannel. HOWEVER, it will support, as of the moment, FIBRE OPTIC SFP.  It will NOT support GLC-T SFP module.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card