cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960S cross stack etherchannel limit

jpbtimbol16
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 existing 2960S switches stacked together, with 6 active port channel groups. Each channel group has 2x1GE links in a cross stack etherchannel fashion. Is it possible to add another channel group? Because from specs of 2960S, etherchannels are limited to 6. But what if stacked? Does it mean that I could activate up to 12 etherchannels? And also, I want to use the 2 1GE uplink SFP slots via fiber as an etherchannel. Are all these possible? Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Yes, Cisco is clearly mentioned that "Do not try to configure more than 6 EtherChannels on the switch stack."

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12-2_53_se/configuration/guide/2960scg/swethchl.html#pgfId-1275881

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
If I remembered correctly, only 6 EtherChannels are supported. Nothing more.

Ok, thanks! So regardless if I have 4 or 8 2960S switches stacked, I will still have the limit of 6 channel groups?

Hi,

Yes, Cisco is clearly mentioned that "Do not try to configure more than 6 EtherChannels on the switch stack."

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12-2_53_se/configuration/guide/2960scg/swethchl.html#pgfId-1275881

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Hi, thanks for the help!

Remember, generally when you stack switches, one stack member is acting as master for whole stack, so that's likely why adding additional stack members wouldn't boost the number of port-channels allowed.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card