Views
Helpful
Replies

2960s IOS Upgrade Issue

Mario Musquiz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 

I have a issue when i try to upgrade the IOS of WS-C2960S-48TS-L, the curretn version is 12.2(58)SE2 , the verison im trying to upgrate to is 15.2.SE6.

I do the "archive tar /xtract tftp" command to extract all the files to the flash, then i do the "boot system flash:"  command to change to the new but when i reboot the switch it loads the new ios then loads the old ios and boot using the old ios, how can i change to ignore the old ios ?

17 Replies 17

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you paste the ouptut of show bootvar and show run | in boot?

HTH

Here is what i get 

Not sure why your boot statement shows the IOS name on the flash 2 times.

try deleting IOS 150-2 from the flash and than issue sh boot

now you should see the old IOS (12.2(58).

save and reboot the switch. Once back add the 150-2 to flash and than do a sh boot again.

If it still shows it 2 times delete IOS 150-2 completely from the flash and load a new one and try again.  Also can you post the output of "dir flash"?

HTH

Run this command:  verify /md 5 flash:/c2960s-universalk9-mz.150-2.SE6/c2960s-universalk9-mz.150-2.SE6.bin 81f4c4659303127144ed41cd7b5097bd

If the IOS is NOT corrupt, then the output should be "Verified!".

Hey, any solution for this? i have the same exactly problem on six WS-2960S-48LPS-L

Hey, any solution for this? i have the same exactly problem on six WS-2960S-48LPS-L

Post the entire bootup process.  

The output above only happens if your primary IOS is corrup so the switch goes into "self-protection mode" and boots the next IOS in the directory.

well, i've used the same IOS image to update two WS-2960S-24PS-L also and worked fine, i verified md5 i've uploaded on via tftp and it was ok on all 8 switches but it doesnt work on 48LPS-L only...

I'm going to post the bootup process asap anyway after bin's decompression&installation it ends with a simple "boot failure"

Here you go:

switch:set

BOARD_CONFIG_REV=0
BOOT=flash:/c2960s-universalk9-mz.152-2a.E1.bin
CLEI_CODE_NUMBER=COMGE00ARD
DAUGHTERBOARD_ASSEMBLY_NUM=73-11933-04
DAUGHTERBOARD_REVISION_NUM=A0
DAUGHTERBOARD_SERIAL_NUM=FOC18412S3M
IP_ADDR=172.20.31.14/255.255.255.0
MAC_ADDR=E0:D1:73:21:D2:80
MODEL_NUM=WS-C2960S-48LPS-L
MODEL_REVISION_NUM=M0
MOTHERBOARD_ASSEMBLY_NUM=73-11908-10
MOTHERBOARD_REVISION_NUM=A0
MOTHERBOARD_SERIAL_NUM=FOC18413P8R
POWER_SUPPLY_PART_NUM=341-0393-02
POWER_SUPPLY_SERIAL_NUM=LIT18360N67
SDM_TEMPLATE_ID=0
SWITCH_NUMBER=3
SWITCH_PRIORITY=1
SYSTEM_SERIAL_NUM=FOC1707Y02U
TAN_NUM=800-30945-04
 -- MORE --
TAN_REVISION_NUMBER=F0
VERSION_ID=V04
b=

switch: boot
Loading "flash:/c2960s-universalk9-mz.152-2a.E1.bin"...@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
File "flash:/c2960s-universalk9-mz.152-2a.E1.bin" uncompressed and installed, en
try point: 0x3000
executing...
Loading "flash:/c2960s-universalk9-mz.152-2a.E1.bin"...@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
File "flash:/c2960s-universalk9-mz.152-2a.E1.bin" uncompressed and installed, en
try point: 0x3000
executing...
Boot process failed...

flash:/c2960s-universalk9-mz.152-2a.E1.bin

Hmmmm ... So I presume the "upgrade" is copying the BIN file only and not unpacking the TAR file.  Is this correct?

Can you try another version of IOS?  Try 15.0(2)SE4.  And try using the TAR file this time.

I've just re-read your original post.  Did you say you're having the same problem with all six 2960S units or just one?

I have the same problem on all six WS-2960S-48LPS-L.

Let me try to explain the situation ...

I bought six brand new WS-2960S-48LPS-L and 2 WS-2960S-24PS-L for my lan, i dont need any vlan so i started to use them how they came from cisco with default config and everything looks fine...untill i started to join Cisco 7912 VoIP phones, then i noticed that on every WS-2960S-48LPS-L 80-90% of ports wont work POE and the few ports where it works are totally random and without any apparent reason. So i investigated from console port and where POE doesnt work i had these errors:

%ILPOWER3-CONTROLLER_PORT_ERR

%ILPOWER-5-POWER_GRANTED

%ILPOWER-5-IEEE_DISCONNECT

Googled a bit and found that this is a well known bug in old IOS as i have since all switches run 12.2.55-SE7 or 12.2.55-SE8 (year ~2010)

I've tried various workaround found on this forum (power inline port 2x-mode for example) but nothing to do.

So after a lot of hours i decided to update the IOS with the suggested Cisco's IOS

15.0.2-SE6(MD)

Since i have the machines in different buildings i used Cisco Network Assistant to update them, so i downloaded the IOS, tar version checked md5 (and was fine). CNA said that there wasnt enough space on flash so it overwrited the old IOS, copied and uncompressed tar and made the installation...and after that i'm in the initial post...on all 48 ports. On 24 ports update has been completed without problems.

My next try will be to upload the old 12.2 IOS and retry with it...i've never seen anything like this to be honest, i cant believe that 6/6 are bugged...but i'm sure i didnt any mistake...

You've got PoE issue and it's not necessarily an IOS issue.  Have you ever considered a cable issue?  2960S support TDR.  

Next, IOS upgrade using CNA?  I wouldn't even recommend CNA to anyone.  Not even for upgrading the IOS.  

Upgrade the IOS using CLI is more reliable than web-based CNA.

uhm... not necessarily IOS issue?

found in another post (https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/113026/error-messageilpower-3-controllerporterr-controller-port-error-interface-power), same problem:

Error Message:%ILPOWER-3-CONTROLLER_PORT_ERR

You are hitting the bug CSCsw18530 : Power Imax / Tstart errors may be reported with some third party PDs

Resolution

This issue is fixed in 12,2(55)SE3 , 12.2(58)SE1 and later releases.

And yes, i tried with other cables, i tried every single port with same cable, on 48 or 24 ports switches, on 24 ports works everything on 48 only few...I dont think it's a cable problem...

And over...CNA is an official Cisco developed software i guess...Isn't relieable like CLI? I think should be a big problem for Cisco not for me, if Cisco knows that CNA isnt so good or that some features included arent working right maybe the easy way is to not include those features....:)

And yes, i tried with other cables, i tried every single port with same cable, on 48 or 24 ports switches, on 24 ports works everything on 48 only few...I dont think it's a cable problem...

I know of those IOS versions you've mentioned very well.  I also know how to test cables using the 2960S TDR feature very well. 

Let's get your switch working first, and then we'll check the cable using TDR.  

If you've upgraded the six 2960S using CNA, I think it's time for you to consider using CLI.

CNA is an official Cisco developed software i guess...Isn't relieable like CLI?

CNA is never as reliable and accurate as CLI.  No Cisco "jock" will ever recommend using CLI.  It's too clunky and feature poor.   Here's a pretty good example:  Can CNA test cable using TDR?  No.  Can CLI test cable using TDR?  YES.  

By the way, you want to know more about TDR?  Have a look at THIS ... and take note of the author.  :)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card