Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960S - Password required, but none set

Hi,

I set a password for the 'VTY lines', the Console, I set an 'enable secret' and an 'enable' password,

but when I log in via ssh I get this:

Switch15>en

Password required, but none set
Password:
Switch15#sh run

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 28178 bytes
!

I type in the 'enable secret' and get into the enable mode...

I always get this "Password required, but none set"! But all passwords are set.

It's a WS-C2960S-48TD-L with IOS Version is 15.0(2)SE2 (C2960S-UNIVERSALK9-M)

What am I missing?

Kind regards,

Andreas

22 Replies 22

I had the same issue with aaa new-model , but once I created the local username by specifying the local user privilege level to 15, the issue get resolved (username test priv 15 secret test). if you are using AAA make sure to have the right AAA autorization config. below are my AAA config when i was facing the issue. i was trying to connect with local credential. 

aaa authentication login default local group TACACS_SERVER
aaa authorization console
aaa authorization config-commands
aaa authorization exec default local group TACACS_SERVER
aaa authorization commands 1 default local group TACACS_SERVER if-authenticated
aaa authorization commands 15 default local group TACACS_SERVER if-authenticated
aaa accounting exec default start-stop group TACACS_SERVER
aaa accounting commands 1 default start-stop group TACACS_SERVER
aaa accounting commands 15 default start-stop group TACACS_SERVER

Thanks this did the trick for me as well aaa authentication enable default enable

I just don't know why should use "aaa authentication enable default enable" if you are not using AAA. This happened to me today that even with local username and password defined and with login local command for line vty, still I got that error message. What I did is that I went to line vty again and typed login local again then saving the config and everything was fine after that. So if you are not using AAA you shouldn't use any aaa command. ( in my opinion ). If wrong please let me know. 

I just tried your aaa new model command today and it worked for me, I was having the same error and login through telnet issue on my 2960 switch. Thanks. Craig

hi blau grana

Thank you so much it is really work me . Keep support Us

work  for me thank

This solved my issue thanks, sometimes we forget the small things i believe.

Oliver Drew
Level 1
Level 1

I have a pair of Cisco 4500X-32 switches in VSS mode, running cat4500e-universalk9.SPA.03.04.00.SG.151-2.SG.bin, and I was facing the same problem. when I connected to a VTY line, I was seeing "Password required, but none set", but it would then prompt me to log in with the local username and password that I have configured.

I used the aaa authentication enable default enable command from global configuration mode, and it fixed my problem.

This was a problem for me because I was trying to use CatTools to automatically back up the running configuration of the device, but CatTools was failing with "Warning, no VTY password has been set", even though as far as I could tell, none was required.

Anyway, I'm happy now!

Thanks all.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card