Views
Helpful
Replies

2960s Switch Stacking

bartosikr1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello -

Wondering the stacking modules can be installed on switches already powered up and in operation?

For a stack of 3 and 4 switches, does the cabling have to be done in a specific order?

If you are creating a stack of 3 standalone prod switches, (once you have indicated a Master) do you cable\add the other 2 switches to create the stack and then reapply the config backups of switches 2 and 4; except for the Master?  I assume the config of the Mast will overwrite the configs Members 2 and 3?

Thanks,

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You can not switch from standalone switches to stacked switches in a production environment as it will cause downtime to your network. You would need to do this in a maintenance window.

Usually if you have 3 switches, you connect switch-1 to swtch-2 and switch-2 to switch-3 and switch-3 to 1 using stacking cables.

HTH

Thanks Reza!

We have scheduled a downtime for this process.

Can you provide some feedback on this question -

If you are creating a stack of 3 standalone prod switches, (once you have indicated a Master) do you cable\add the other 2 switches to create the stack and then reapply the config backups of switches 2 and 4; except for the Master?  I assume the config of the Mast will overwrite the configs Members 2 and 3?

Much Appreciated!

when you have created the stack just think of the slave switches as providing the additional ports and nothing else.  

the master will have all the config with the added capacity of the stacked switches

So when I join all three standalone switches in the stack the config from 2 and 3 will remain or will the config for the Master remain and Members 2 and 3 will be blank?

Thanks,

Since you are using the switches in production, you need to make a back up copy of the config for all switches.  Once the stack is configured, the master switch will override all the existing configs you have on the member switches.  From that point what ever config you add to the master, the master will sync it to all the members.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card