Views
Helpful
Replies

2960X switch IOS upgrade in stack

Naoki1234
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I plan to upgrade IOS on two of 2960X switches in a stack. I'm not sure how it is different from the way to upgrade without stack. So could someone tell me where can I refer?

12 Replies 12

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Kindly read the Release Notes.  

The Release Notes will have detailed instructions on how to upgrade the switch as a stand-alone or the entire stack.

Hi Leo,

Thanks for prompt reply, I checked release note below but I did not find how to upgrade IOS on switches as a stack.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960x/software/15-2_4_e/releasenotes/rn-1524e-2960x-xr.html#93626

Could you please tell me the link which I can refer?  Below is more specified info bout hardware and IOS version

WS-C2960X-48TS-L:15.2(4)E1⇒15.2(4)E5

Thanks

こんにちは、

お返事ありがとうございます。上記リリースノートを見ましたが、スタックを組んだままIOSをバージョンアップする具体的な方法を見つけことができませんでした。スタックを組んだ状態でのIOSバージョンアップについて、他に参照できそうなリンクを教えて頂けますか?ハードウェアとIOSの情報は上記のとおりです。

よろしくお願いします。

Ok, looks like someone from Cisco have decided NOT to include the process (or command) to upgrade the IOS of a 2960X switch.  

There is only one command to use:  archive download-sw [options] [options] tftp://<TFTP IP address>/IOS_filename.tar

This command will upgrade each switch member in a stack.  

Upgrading a Switch by Using the CLI

Hi,

The archive download-sw [options] [options] tftp://<TFTP IP address>/IOS_filename.tar  cmd need to use only on "master" or all the switches?

Thank you.

pkumari4
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Leo,

I can suggest two different procedures to achieve the upgrade.

Standard Process /First  process

1. Download the targeted image first.

2-Copy the image to the stack master via TFTP or USB flash drive, note that you can check the MD5 checksum of this image using the following command :

verify/md5 flash: <image file> , it should match this checksum.

3-Now we need to copy the image on the other unit members of your stack.

"copy flash:<image name> flash2:" copy flash:<image name> and so on...

4-Now that the unit has the targeted image we will need to change the boot system configuration in order to point to the targeted image.

-no boot system

-do wr

-boot system switch all flash: image name

-do wr

5- Please check that the new configuration is pointing to the new image by entering the following command :

show boot system

6- Reload the unit.

After the reload the unit has to be running the new IOS image ,you can confirm it by using the "show version" command.

Second Procedure:

Split the stack into two and upgrade the switches one at a time. To achieve this, we would need to have redundant links from both the upstream and downstream next-hop devices going to both switches. Before we break the stack, we would need to shut the upstream and downstream interfaces on the switch that we will be upgrading first. Once the interfaces have been shut, we can proceed with upgrading the first switch. During that time any directly connected hosts to this switch will lose connectivity. Once the upgrade of the 1st switch is complete, its interfaces can be brought back up and the interfaces on the second one should be shut down. Moving forward, we would upgrade the 2nd switch and once done, bring its interfaces back up. Finally, we would re-connect the stacking cables and restore the stack functionality.

Considering the risk involved with these processes and keeping in mind the fact that you would like to have minimum disruption and downtime while upgrading, I would suggest sticking to the standard upgrade procedure.

The total downtime during the standard process should be around 20 minutes. I would suggest scheduling an hour of maintenance, just in case.

Regards,

Priyanka

Hi Priyanka,

Thanks for your reply.

What about upgrading through this command - "archive download-sw"?

The copy command is a standard method as you suggested but I would like to know about "archive download-sw" command. I have been using this command for a single device and worked well but haven't used before for stacking. Therefore, I would like to know where do I need to issue this command "archive download-sw"? Is it on "master"?

With "archive download-sw" we can use options which I think more useful compared to the standard process. It also checks the feature set and software incompatibility.

Please advise.  

Hello Leo,

where do I need to issue this command "archive download-sw"? Is it on "master"?

On Master, once you will perform this on Master automatically image will be saved in all the member switches in the stack.

Detailed Process

Use the archive download-sw command to extract the .bin image and other required files (.tar files) in the flash of the stack switch (master switch)

>>Download the image required and check the minimum memory requirements.*       

>>Download IOS on TFTP server, then copy to the Master switch flash using "archive download-sw //leave-old-sw tftp://<TFTP IP>/<image>". This will copy, extract and change boot statements.

>>The new image will be saved on all switches' flash.

>>Save changes and reload the switch to boot the new image.

Do wr mem

and perform the reboot. 

Regards,

Priyanka

Thanks, Leo. The presentation is helpful. 

Hi Priyanka and Leo,

Thanks for your inputs. Appreciated!

So when I issue reboot on the master, will then all stack members restart at the same time or one by one?

I think they will restart at the same time but just would like to know the behaviour before I kick off the 2960X upgrade.

Hello Chirag,

When you will perform reload on the master then it will reload the whole stack, while performing reload on the master you will get this message "Reload command is being issued on Active unit, this will reload the whole stack
Proceed with reload? [confirm]"

Regards,

Priyanka

Hi Priyanka,

Thanks for your prompt reply. 

I have successfully upgraded the 2960X stacks through "archive download-sw" command. 

Big thanks to Leo Laohoo.

Regards,

Chirag

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card