cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960X Switch will only uplink with 1 port on QNAP NAS.

Jason Tech Guy
Level 1
Level 1

ello,

I have a 2960X-48FPS-L with 15.2-7.E5 (also tested on 15.0), and when I plug in the first port from a QNAP NAS it will not recognize it being plugged in, but it will recognize the second port.  With Term Mon turned on, it shows no log of it being plugged in. 

I plug the same NAS into a 2960S switch and it will recognize both ports.  I have also tried a different 2960X with the same result of Port 1 on the NAS not going UP.

Another side note on these 2960X's, when I try to plug in our building security system in to ports 1-24 it will not recognize the device, but if I plug it into ports 25-48, it works.

Below is my port config:

interface GigabitEthernet2/0/5
description To QNAP
switchport access vlan 31
switchport mode access
switchport voice vlan 100
priority-queue out
mls qos trust device cisco-phone
spanning-tree portfast edge
spanning-tree bpdufilter disable
spanning-tree bpduguard disable

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Jason

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jason Tech Guy
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

So after much frustration with QNAP and twisting their arm they agreed to take a look at the QNAP NAS.  I shipped it back to them and they discovered that there was a fault in the mainboard.  They shipped it back to me and it now works.

QNAP support was not great to work with as I had to incur all shipping costs for a DOA device.

Thank you everyone for your assistance!

Jason

View solution in original post

35 Replies 35

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what is the config 2960X and 2960S

when you mentioned both the ports working, both connecting same time ?

what speed it negotiating ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello Balaji,

Thanks for your reply.  I have attached two config files. 

The 2960S test config works with my qnap and will recognize both ports on my qnap, and I can ping both IP addresses on the qnap.

The 2960X Production config is the one I am having issues with.  I plug it into ports GI2/0/5 and 6 and only port 2/0/6 will go up/up, port 5 is down.  If I swap the cables around port 5 is active, and 6 is down.

To answer your question about port speed, it is set to auto, but I have tried setting it to 1000 and 100 with no success.

"when you mentioned both the ports working, both connecting same time ?" I meant on my second qnap (I have two separate qnaps) both ports work and I have no issues with it.

I have done factory a reset and reapplied the config with no success. 

This is very strange as to why the 2960X's will not recognize this qnap.  (I even tried a brand new spare 2960X out of the box)

Thanks again.

On the 2960x, can you remove these 2 commands from ports 2/0/5 and 6 and test again?

spanning-tree bpdufilter disable
 spanning-tree bpduguard disable

HTH

if they are 2 different QNAPs, the one working always works with any port on the new 2960X, the one does not work any port right?

by the way on old 2960S working, what port do they connect?

Try simple config on : 2960X (post the logs ?)

switchport mode access
 spanning-tree portfast
 spanning-tree bpduguard enable

BB

Jason Tech Guy
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for your reply,

I have done the commands, still no change.

This is my current config on those ports,

description To QNAP
switchport mode access
priority-queue out
!
interface GigabitEthernet2/0/6
description To QNAP
switchport mode access
priority-queue out

Ok, so if you are connecting these ports to a NAS system, there is no need for voice vlan. Can you simply default the ports and just add one vlan to the ports and test again?

Also, is this a stack of switches?

description To QNAP
switchport mode access
!
interface GigabitEthernet2/0/6
description To QNAP
switchport mode access

Hello Reza, 

I have done what you asked on the 2960X, and port 1 of the qnap will still not go in a UP link state.  Port 2 is UP.

I also tried this on another spare 2960X switch that I am using as my sandbox for testing and I get Port 1 as DOWN and PORT 2 as UP on my qnap.

Just double-checked again with my 2960S, both ports on the qnap will go into a UP link state.

My spare 2960X switch is my testing switch and I can do whatever commands on it and not worry about damaging my production environment.  So I am willing to try anything that anyone has to suggest.

Thanks again for your ideas.

Jason,

What is the status of the vtp on the 2960x. Try:

sh vtp status

you should see:

VTP Operating Mode : Transparent

if it is not, can you change it to transparent mode?

HTH

I checked it out and it was VTP Operating Mode: Server, so I changed it to transparent mode now:

VTP Version capable : 1 to 3
VTP version running : 2
VTP Domain Name : bcaa
VTP Pruning Mode : Disabled
VTP Traps Generation : Disabled
Device ID : f09e.63c8.9800
Configuration last modified by 0.0.0.0 at 3-1-93 00:02:40

Feature VLAN:
--------------
Maximum VLANs supported locally : 1005
Number of existing VLANs : 14
Configuration Revision : 0

The port is still DOWN

Yes, it looks good!

Are these switches stacked?

Can you post the output of "sh run"?

HTH

Reza,

Sorry to mention this, the original 2960X config I attached is my stacked switches.  On that last VTY status, I switched over to my 2960X Test (sandbox) switch where I can do whatever I want without affecting others on my network.  It is trunked via port 1 to the same stack that I was originally working on.  

sh run below

we have that information :

?

what are the Logs show when you bring up the port after connecting on the new 2960X?

the Failed one always fails whatever port is connected, please confirm? what model of QNAP NAt is this ?

BB

both QNAP ports will connect to any port on the 2960S, but for my testing purposes, I am using 1/0/5 and 6 to be consistent.

what are the Logs show when you bring up the port after connecting on the new 2960X?  no logs whatsoever on the 2960X when connecting PORT 1 of the QNAP. 

the Failed one always fails whatever port is connected, please confirm?  YES, it will in any port on a 2960X. what model of QNAP NAt is this ?  TS-453D running the latest 5.0x software

I have run a diagnostic on the switch, and attached a log file of the diagnostic and then I unplugged/replugged port 1/0/6 in and right after that I did port 5, but nothing shows up on the logs.

I am going to do the same with the 2960S and post the logs.

Ok folks, I did the diagnostics tests on the 2960S and I have attached the logs from that and plugging in the cables QNAP port 1 into 1/0/5 and port 2 into 1/0/6.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: