cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3524 Switch

dukeminus
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Switch that keeps giving me the following error messages: Message: Interface down : ifIndex: 3, ifDescr: FastEthernet0/2, ifType: 6, .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.2.1.1.20.3: down

Device: 274-g.rgv-nt.local

Category: Switch

Error Condition: Critical

Generated at: Apr 04,2008 01:03:58 PM

Interface down : ifIndex: 3, ifDescr: FastEthernet0/2, ifType: 6, .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.2.1.1.20.3: down

274-g.rgv-nt.local

Critical

It does this on various ports and then I receive a meesage stating the interface is back up. What is going on? If I need to get someone who understands the problem a copy of my running config or whatever log is needed I will. Please help. This is driving me CRRRAAAZZZYY!!!

3 Replies 3

smahbub
Level 6
Level 6

provide the exact error message and the "running config" which will be helpful in solving the issue.

For better understanding of the error messages in catalyst 3524 check the following URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2900xl_3500xl/release12.0_5_wc3/swg/Swgerror.html

williamsdo
Level 3
Level 3

Your switch interface index value are giving errors this is usually cause when the switch is overloaded with traffic or the available memory is low. You can check for unusual high traffic, this might happen at a certain time of day or you may need to upgrade the memory. If you have a Cisco contract open a caase with TAC.

3. %SNMP-IFINDEX_PROVIDER-3-IFNAME_TO_INDEX Failed to [chars] for [chars]: [chars]

Failed to get the ifindex value for the given interface name

Recommended Action: If the message recurs, copy the error message exactly as it appears on the console or in the system log, call your Cisco technical support representative and provide the representative with the gathered information.

HTH

Related documents- No specific documents apply to this error message

williamsdo
Level 3
Level 3

Have a read of this document it will help you understand interface values.

HTH

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/ios/12_2t/12_2t2/feature/guide/ftshowif.html

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card