cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3560X not connecting at 10/full

sisqocracker
Level 1
Level 1

I have seen a similar post here from last year about a 10/half connection, but this is different.  I have a provider using a 2950 switch (they left CDP on so we can see it).  And we have to be set to 10/full to make this connection (as you know 10/half connected here would be or is horrible).  I have had this connection running on my 2921 router w/o issue but when I connect it to my 3560X, then I get no link light (shows down/down, not connected).

What else to know about what has been tried:

Connecting link to switch with switch set to auto/auto (sp/dup). Speed is 10 (as it should be) but of course w/o the other side pulsing the voltage to know what to auto to, it defaults to half so this is unacceptabel, but, I do get a link light and can pass traffic, it's just a horrible experience.

Also tried the same setting speed and duplex vs. auto disco speed and duplex on other ports of the switch, no difference, same results. Also different patch cables, same results.

My current work around is to connect the providers 2950 (10/full) to my 2921 router @ (10/full) with a BVI to another port on the router which continues on to my 3560X at 1G/full.  And this works just fine.  Here's more info from my 3560X and the providers 2950:

3560X:

License Level: ipservices

License Type: Permanent

Next reload license Level: ipservices

cisco WS-C3560X-48 (PowerPC405) processor (revision A0) with 262144K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID FDO1623R2GZ

Last reset from power-on

5 Virtual Ethernet interfaces

1 FastEthernet interface

52 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces

2 Ten Gigabit Ethernet interfaces

512K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.

Model number                    : WS-C3560X-48T-S

Top Assembly Part Number        : 800-31330-02

Top Assembly Revision Number    : E0

Version ID                      : V02

Hardware Board Revision Number  : 0x03

Switch Ports Model              SW Version            SW Image

------ ----- -----              ----------            ----------

*    1 54    WS-C3560X-48       12.2(55)SE3           C3560E-UNIVERSALK9-M

2950 switch info from CDP:

-------------------------

Device ID: UES1.Englewood6-CO

Entry address(es):

IP address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Platform: cisco WS-C2950G-24-EI,  Capabilities: Switch IGMP

Interface: GigabitEthernet0/2.1,  Port ID (outgoing port): FastEthernet0/8

Holdtime : 161 sec

Version :

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) C2950 Software (C2950-I6Q4L2-M), Version 12.1(14)EA1a, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1986-2003 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Tue 02-Sep-03 03:33 by antonino

advertisement version: 2

Protocol Hello:  OUI=0x00000C, Protocol ID=0x0112; payload len=27, value=00000000FFFFFFFF010221FF000000000000000B5FB8A9C0FF0000

VTP Management Domain: ''

Duplex: full

-------------------------

Any takers?  This is steak knife set winner here.  :-)

Thanks,

Coop

11 Replies 11

Broken-Arrow
Level 1
Level 1

How do you have a sub interface on a switch? I thought that command was blocked?

Interface: GigabitEthernet0/2.1

Do you have a spare GBIC uplink port on the 2950? If so, try using that, though you will need LC to SC fibre.

This article hints that you may have issues with 10Mbps Full on SFP http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps4999/products_tech_note09186a00807a30d6.shtml#config

The real solution is to upgrade your 2950 I think they have pulled support for 3550, but 3560 still offers a lot of bang for bucks.

Sorry that isn't moe helpful.

The 2950 belongs to the provider, good luck on any movement there.  I will contact the provider next, but was seeing if anyone had anything on known issues with this setup.  I'm connecting on copper.  The subinterface is on the 2921 router, looks like you should map out what's written before making such a quick reply.

Version 12.1(14)EA1a

The issue here is that the provider is using the 2950G as a managed-media converter. I have seen issues with 2950G and auto-negotiation before.  And this issue is evident on early IOS such as this one.

Can you try the following command on the 3560X:

conf t

interface g0/2

speed auto 10 100

duplex auto half

end

Another thing:  2950G has two GBIC ports, can't you connect yourself on the other GBIC port?  You can get a single copper-GBIC or a GBIC/SFP combo.  Fibre GBIC nowadays are cheap.

It's in a co-lo DC so I won't be able to get a fiber pull all the way to our cabinet out in a hall of many halls (would be cost prohibitive).  But you can see on the provider side, this is a 24 port switch of which we're connected on port 8.  I can try these things on the 3560X and will look that up prior to doing so.  I hadn't seen use of more than one argument at a time on the duplex setting used before, and also about the 10/100.  Would this limit the speed allowed on the switch port to only 10 or 100?  I'll have to check that out.  There has been other times int he past where this would have helped had I knwon about it.  I didn't know that you could tell the switch not to allow a gig connection on it.

Thanks,

Coop

No.  The chances are the provider is being lazy and doesn't care about providing support.  I am suspecting that they either have set their duplex to half or hard-coded their speed and duplex setting or the IOS itself contributes to the half-duplex.

You can only do as much as you can.  You may also want to look at the contract to make sure what the provider is entitled to do.  If the contract say that the ISP is to provide you with 10 Mbps, full duplex then you are within your rights for them to fix it.

No.  It is set to 10/full on their side.  I can't get my side to connect on the 3560X when I set my side to 10/full.  That's the whole point of this issue.

It is set to 10/full on their side

I was suspecting as much.  Right.  This makes alot of sense.

2950 does NOT have the capabilities for the command "speed auto 10", however, you can get the ISP to remove the "duplex full" command.  You also need to ensure that you have duplex set to "auto".

Yeah.  In the end, this may just be what I have to do.  Get them to move it back to auto.

Will reply here again once I've tried that out.

Thanks,

Coop

Keep us posted, Coop.  We're interested to learn the discussions with your ISP and the outcome.

I would say you have the wrong cable between the devices , you would need a crossover .  The 3560 can do mdix but only set as auto/atuo  otherwise it will shut the port down  if you try to hardcode the port.  Get a crossover cable and on the port do a " no mdix auto" and then try to hardcode your speed and duplex to 10 /full. Make sure the cable is a xover and not straighthru.

I've not seen an auto mdix issue for like 10 years now.  So this doesn't make sense that the same feature is in the rotuer and it works just fine on the same cable.  Not saying I can't try it, it could be one of the things I havethe guys do, just saying it doesn't make sense to me in this case.  If I had a couple of these 2950's back to back I would concur, but going to the 3560X?  I would say there are stranger things afoot.

I think moving the 2950 to auto would resolve it and stay on the same cable.  I will try the crossover first because that should be a quick try prior to working with the vendor to change his 2950 port settings.

Thanks,

Coop

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card