cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3560X - Port Channel not load balancing

PolyCaleb
Level 1
Level 1

I'm attempting to figure out how to get my 3560X to load balance a LACP port-channel that is going to a server.  So about 90% of the traffic goes through one port.

Port-Channel 4:                         GigabitEthernet0/14:                    GigabitEthernet0/48:

868066479 packets input          235817603 packets input             632250162 packets input

891377158 packets output       828493193 packets output            62885071 packets output

EtherChannel Load-Balancing Configuration:
        src-mac

Ports in the Port-channel:

Index   Load   Port     EC state        No of bits
------+------+------+------------------+-----------
  0     00     Gi0/14   Active             0
  0     00     Gi0/48   Active             0

ip cef load-sharing algorithm universal 6F1DD053

I'm not understanding why both ports have a "Load" value of 00.  Any assistance on what I could do to more evenly load balance across the port channel would be appreciated.

2 Replies 2

thiland
Level 3
Level 3

Have you already tried configuring a more granular/balanced load balancing algorithm?  The way it's setup now is the source MAC will always use the same port-channel member. 

You could test using MAC + IP + Port # in the load balance algorithm to get more even load:

config t
port-channel load-balance src-dst-port

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I recall(?) the 3560X might not support src-des-port, i.e.:

3560X(config)#port-channel load-balance ?
  dst-ip       Dst IP Addr
  dst-mac      Dst Mac Addr
  src-dst-ip   Src XOR Dst IP Addr
  src-dst-mac  Src XOR Dst Mac Addr
  src-ip       Src IP Addr
  src-mac      Src Mac Addr

If you only find the above, suggest trying src-dest-ip.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card