Views
Helpful
Replies

3650 forgetting my port descriptions

fred2k3
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 * WS-C3650-48TS switches running 16.6.3

When I add Port Descriptions from the web GUI (Configuration -> Physical Interfaces) it appears to save them, but then after a time (I'm not sure exactly how long, but lets say a few days) they disappear.  The switch didn't reboot in this time.

Any ideas? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello,

can you check using a telnet/SSH session ?

the command is

show interface description

the first lines of show run  tells last time configuration has changed and last time configuration has been saved.

This is to understand if the issue is real or it is only in the Web GUI that you are using.

If the switch didn't reload it should keep the configured descriptions even if the configuration is not saved.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello,

can you check using a telnet/SSH session ?

the command is

show interface description

the first lines of show run  tells last time configuration has changed and last time configuration has been saved.

This is to understand if the issue is real or it is only in the Web GUI that you are using.

If the switch didn't reload it should keep the configured descriptions even if the configuration is not saved.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

Thanks for the reply. I ran the command and could see the interface descriptions which I just added.

It didn't show me the last time configuration has changed and last time configuration has been saved though - do I need to run another command to see this?

Maybe I should try adding descriptions from the CLI and saving.. I'll search for the commands and give that a try.

Hello Fred,

to configure a description from IOS CLI you need

config t

interface type x/y/z

description MY DESCRIPTION HERE

example:

interface gi0/1

description INTERFACE To server BDM11 10.120.11.22

exit

wr mem

or

copy running-config startup-config

to save configuration from CLi

Edit:

if you issue show running-config it will show you last time config has been changed and last time config has been saved

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card