cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3650 IOS rollback

aweise
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to rollback the IOS-XE version on a 3650 switch. We ran the install to change the code from an Everest version (16.6.2) to Denali 16.3.6, but we have yet to reload the switch to make Denali take effect.

However, I want to back out of that without reloading. Is there an easy way to roll back after the install succeeded, but before the switch was reloaded?

5 Replies 5

Alex Pfeil
Level 7
Level 7

You have to reload the switch in order to change the IOS.

Please mark helpful posts.

Understood, but if I did the install and changed my mind about going to the new IOS - can't I do a rollback? 

Or do I have to reload the switch, then do the rollback to the old IOS and reload again?

Hello

just remove the newly installed software from each switechies flash: 

Also if you changed the boot system then remove that also - I am assuming you haven’t change anything else like the config- registrar 

So apart from that you’ll should be okay

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As long the switch not rebooted it still hold the old version.

if any circumstance the switch reboot it will load the new one (you downgraded version will take effective).

What procedure you followed to downgrade, just copied image and change the boot variables ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I appreciate the feedback, but perhaps I wasn't clear enough.

This is a 3650 switch running IOS-XE version 16.6.2. In order to change the code version, you need to run the following command:

request platform software packing install switch all file flash:<file name>

You don't configure a boot system statement like the old versions. A package gets installed, managed by a package file. You have the option to roll the installation back with the following command but only after the IOS is installed and the switch is rebooted:

request platform software package install switch all rollback

What I want to know is if this rollback can be done after the package is installed, but *before* the switch is reloaded.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card