Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 port down

gasparmenendez
Level 3
Level 3

Hi folks,

I have a doubt that maybe you can helpme with. The thing is I'm trying to connect a Media Converter MC-1000S-V1 (20 Km / 1310 nm) directly to a GLC-LH-SMD (10 Km / 1310 nm) with a Jumper (tried both: SM and MM). The GBIC is connected to a 3750's SFP port but the problem is that the link is down....the 3750's port is down (off).

Is it possible what I'm trying to do ???? or do I need 2 M/C, one at each end of the link???

Thanks in advance.

BR.

11 Replies 11

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

GLC-LH-SMD is multi-mode

So, what is the fiber interface on the media converter? Is that single-mode or multi-mode?

If it is single-mode, the fiber patch and SFP need to be single-mode as well.

HTH

sorry my friend but I've been testing different GBIC and M/C and that's why I posted the wrong model...

the one I'm using is GLC-EX-SMD

but anyway I found this on the internet:

Cisco GLC-LH-SMD Compatible 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceptor (MMF/SMF, 1310nm, 550m/10km, LC, DOM)

but like I said I've been testing with both and result is always the same....besides, I've tried 2 or 3 M/C as well....

Does the switch on both ends recognize the single mode sfp that you are trying to use? Also did you test the actual line/fiber that's going from point A to Point B? May be you can shoot a light using fluke and check on other end if it is reaching there and check both a and b side of the cable .

like I said before the 3750's port is down (the  one with the GBIC connected). It doesn't go up in anyway. I'll keep tesitng and post results.

Anyway if you can answer my question I'll appreciate it very much:

Is it possible to connect a media converter to an SFP port of a Switch??? I mean of course with all things between them (GBIC, jumper) or do I must use 2 media convertes???

Thanks in advance.

BR.

Are you converting just the media with this converter or is it converting speed as well?

media and speed (m/c is 10/100)

But the SFP you are using on 3750s only supports 1gig. is that correct?

oops, I think so....

Lets say your switch supports 1GB link and the SFP you are using on 3750 only support 1GB, meaning sfp is not 100/1000 but the device on the other end can only support a link upto 100MB. In that case you would need a media converter that supports 100/1000 so it can convert a gig link into 100mb and vice versa. Based on the specifications of media converter you are using it only supports 10/100 so it won't work. If both sides are 1gb you would still need 100/1000 or just 1000mb media converter but in this case it will only be converting media and not speed.

I hope it makes sense.

When you test make sure you also flip the fiber cable (A and B side) if it doesn't work.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card