cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 stack ID, switch removed from stack, still #2

kevinhoward1
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3750 that was once part of a stack of 3750's. I removed it from the stack, erased flash and config, re-imaged, etc. Switch still boots as stack member #2, and of course all ports are gi2/0/x. Where is the stack ID set or reset, in rommon? thanks.

4 Replies 4

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Try this to renumber.

configure terminal

Enter global configuration mode.

Step 2

switch current-stack-member-number renumber new-stack-member-number

Specify the current stack member number and the new stack member number for the stack member. The stack member number range is 1 to 9.

You can display the current stack member number by using the show switch user EXEC command.

Step 3

end

Return to privileged EXEC mode.

Step 4

reload slot stack-member-number

Reset the stack member, and apply this configuration change.

Step 5

show switch

Verify the stack member number

thank you for the quick response. I did find that procedure, was hoping to not have it as a config file command. We have so many other single 3750's that are solo switches and do not have that command in their config. That looks to be the only way though. Thanks again.

I have the same problem with a 2960 switch. I successfully removed it from the stack (it was switch 4) but when I try this procedure I get "There is no switch number 4 in the stack." When I show run I see a list of switch 1 ports and a list of switch 4 ports. I really don't want to wipe it and start over if possible.

pablo.costa
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

I recive 3 3750G last week and I had the same question, well this is what I know about.

"Stack member number identifies each member in the switch stack" You can know about perform "show switch".

All "new" switches came with defaul stack member 1. From docs "When it joins a swtich stack, its default member number changes to the lowest avaliable member number in the stack"

If you want to change stack member number just perform:

switch renumber

regards

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card