cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 stack switches ios upgrade

hrafique1
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to do ios upgrade on 5 stacked 3750 switches. All the switches have different model number, so i am wondering which image file i should download. As far as i understand all the stacked switches should have the same IOS, i may be wrong. The switches have the following model numbers and SW images;

Switch   Ports  Model              SW Version              SW Image

------   -----  -----              ----------              ----------

1   28     WS-C3750G-24PS     12.2(35)SE5             C3750-IPSERVICESK9-M

*    2   28     WS-C3750G-24PS     12.2(35)SE5             C3750-IPSERVICESK9-M

3   52     WS-C3750G-48PS     12.2(35)SE5             C3750-IPSERVICESK9-M

4   30     WS-C3750E-24PD     12.2(35)SE5             C3750E-UNIVERSAL-M

5   30     WS-C3750E-24PD     12.2(35)SE5             C3750E-UNIVERSAL-M

Please advise which image file i should use as they all have different model numbers and Cisco provides different image files for each model. Please help,

Thanks

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can load

c3560-ipservicesk9-mz.150-2.SE.bin

on 3750G and c3560e-universalk9-mz.150-2.SE.bin

on E.  Just make sure you have enough flash on the G series.

Minimum flash and memory requirement is:

128/32

make sure to read the release note first for any image before you are downloading it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11781/prod_release_notes_list.html

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=279486485&flowid=2535&softwareid=280805680&release=15.0.2-SE&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=ED&reltype=latest

HTH

View solution in original post

Rick Morris
Level 6
Level 6

The short answer, yes all switches SHOULD have the same IOS.

The long answer, you can have different IOS images on the switches.  The problem with that is you may find some config issues.  For example, if you have a lan base image or an ip services IOS, one can do layer 3 and the other cannot.  Your master controller should also elect, or you should configure master with the more superior IOS too.  In the event of a master failing and a new election takes place you could lose some functionality.

You can upgrade each switch one at a time by making the switch provisional, or standalone.  This will keep you safe from any issues caused to other switches in the stack.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00804799d7.shtml

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Again, with mixed series, you want the same IOS version which can be different IOS images.  What you've posted shows all your switches have IOS SW (software) version, but they have two different IOS images (one for original series models and one for the "E" series models).

One way to load images to individual switches is direct copying of BIN images to each switch's flash.

This document might help

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00804799d7.shtml

You can delete the running IOS on the switch but be aware that you should not lose connection to the switch or the switch should not lose power. if you delete the IOS ensure that you put the new IOS on right away and set the new IOS as the boot file. If you lose power or the switch reboots while there is no IOS on the switch, it will not be able to boot.

As a side note, you can stack the different switches together. if you like in the same process Joseph outlined above.

Joel

Joel _______________________________ Please rate helpful posts and answered questions!

18 Replies 18

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can load

on E.  Just make sure you have enough flash on the G series.

Minimum flash and memory requirement is:

128/32

make sure to read the release note first for any image before you are downloading it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11781/prod_release_notes_list.html

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=279486485&flowid=2535&softwareid=280805680&release=15.0.2-SE&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=ED&reltype=latest

HTH

You can load

He he he ... Gotta be a type-o, right Reza?

Rick Morris
Level 6
Level 6

The short answer, yes all switches SHOULD have the same IOS.

The long answer, you can have different IOS images on the switches.  The problem with that is you may find some config issues.  For example, if you have a lan base image or an ip services IOS, one can do layer 3 and the other cannot.  Your master controller should also elect, or you should configure master with the more superior IOS too.  In the event of a master failing and a new election takes place you could lose some functionality.

You can upgrade each switch one at a time by making the switch provisional, or standalone.  This will keep you safe from any issues caused to other switches in the stack.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

In your stack, you have two different 3750 series, and for one of those series, different models.

All units in the stack (really!) should have the same IOS version.  All units in the stack should (requirements vary per platform) have the same feature set.

Different series may (likely will) have different physical IOS images.

In my case i will have to download different IOS on each switch. So  what does it mean when it says that all the switches in a stack must  have the same IOS. I am confused in these two statements.

I cannot find any documentation on cisco's website to say how to download if it is different IOS.

The 3750 stack IOS upgrade document is for the switches which  need same IOS on all the switches e.g in the end it says boot all the  switches with the same IOS. That does not apply in my case as i have  different switche models with different IOS. Please explain how i can go  about downloading the correct versions of IOS on five switches with  different model numbers or can i also install same IOS on these 5  switches (as cisco recommends)

Thanks

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Again, with mixed series, you want the same IOS version which can be different IOS images.  What you've posted shows all your switches have IOS SW (software) version, but they have two different IOS images (one for original series models and one for the "E" series models).

One way to load images to individual switches is direct copying of BIN images to each switch's flash.

This document might help

So does that mean that on switch stack IOS version has to be same but IOS images can be different?

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Yes it does.  Again, look at your original post.  IOS version is the same, but you have two different IOS images.

All original 3750 series can run the same image and all (?) later "E" and "X" series can run the same image.  (Note: there might be different images for "E" vs. "X".)

So can i load for example c3750-ipbasek9-mz.150-2.SE.bin on all the 3750 switches including the E series ones which require cisco universal M image?

Also is there any way of doing the switches in one go Or do i have to do the upgrade individually on the master first and then on the other switches in a way like we do on the non-stack switches. Thanks

As long as you have the same image with same feature set and license, you can use the tar file to upgrade all of them.

HTH

In order to create more space you can delete the previous IOS image. Can you please tell me what kind of impact that can make, where is the current config saved? Will i lose that automatically? I can see about 3 previous images saved on one of our stack switches. Is it safe to delete them all to allow more space?

You can delete the running IOS on the switch but be aware that you should not lose connection to the switch or the switch should not lose power. if you delete the IOS ensure that you put the new IOS on right away and set the new IOS as the boot file. If you lose power or the switch reboots while there is no IOS on the switch, it will not be able to boot.

As a side note, you can stack the different switches together. if you like in the same process Joseph outlined above.

Joel

Joel _______________________________ Please rate helpful posts and answered questions!

Thanks everyone...

I am just wondering now that if i am going to do the maual upgrade on each switch. Should i break the stack and then do it or should i leave the stack cables on?

Another question is how will i be able to boot the new image? Cisco's command

boot system switch all flash:/
c3750-advipservicesk9-mz.122-25.SEE2.bin, i believe is only when you want to boot the same 
image on all the stacked switches. But in my case what will be the boot command i will have
to run on all the switches since i am doing the ios upgrade individually. Many thanks
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card