Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 Stack Synch

Gabriel Hill
Level 1
Level 1

Documentation says this:

"The stack master contains the saved and running configuration files for the switch stack. The

configuration files include the system-level settings for the switch stack and the interface-level settings

for each stack member. Each stack member has a current copy of these files for back-up purposes"

If I login to a 3750 stack. Check the running configuration. Then do a "session x" and check the running configuration of one of the members of the stack, the displayed running configs are different. I expected to see the config synched. Is this "normal"?

Thanks,

3 Replies 3

Arumugam Muthaiah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Gabriel,

Yes, The master has the saved and running configuration files for the stack. All members periodically receive synchronized copies of the configuration files from the master. If the master becomes unavailable, any member assuming the role of master has the latest configuration files.

• System-level (global) configuration settings—such as IP, STP, VLAN, and SNMP settings—that apply to all members
  • Member interface-specific configuration settings, which are specific for each member

The interface-specific configuration of each member is associated with its member number. A stack member keeps its number unless it is manually changed or it is already used by another member in the same stack.

• If an interface-specific configuration does not exist for that member number, the member uses its default interface-specific configuration.
  • If an interface-specific configuration exists for that member number, the member uses the interface-specific configuration associated with that member number.

Please verify the below detail to underand the stack status 

# show switch detail

# show switch stack-ports summary

# show platform stack-manager all

Refer:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_55_se/configuration/guide/swstack.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/troubleshooting/switch_stacks.html

Regards,

Aru

*** Please rate if the post is useful ***

Regards, Aru *** Please rate if the post useful ***

dynamitec1
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, stack members should have the same copy of running config.

The only difference would be the int configuration on each stack, if they are different to begin with. For example, 4 interfaces on my stack 2 belongs to a different VLAN (printers). All basic config should be the same on all four.

Might be a ridiculous question, but Im assuming your 3750 is completely identical?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thanks for the reply Arumugam and Adam.

I noticed it first when I was looking at the configuration of a stack member and it had vlans that were deleted a long time ago on the master switch. I then did another check to see if the members running config had the "aaa" configuration I set several months ago. None of them did, besides the master.

Yeah the 3750's are the same. I do have some other 3750 stacks with half poe and half not, but I also noticed the same discrepancies with not having the "aaa" configuration. This just left me confused, as I expected them to have identical running-configs.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card